none
Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 with Update 1 does not show Code Coverage colors in source editor.

Question

• I've installed the latest version of Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise with Update 1.   I am able to run code coverage analysis and get the results.   However, when I select "Show Code Coverage Coloring", nothing changes in the editor window.   I went to Tools / Options / Fonts And Colors, and I don't see any settings related to "Coverage items" as described in this MSDN post (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd537628.aspx).    I found a similar post to this on VS 2012 in these forums, and have tried the user reset and that doesn't work.   This is a clean install on a new system, so it should work just fine.

Any suggestions?

Friday, February 19, 2016 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeremy,

I just create a simple unit test, and then collect the code coverage, I could see the color well in my VS2015 with update 1.

If you use the blue theme in your VS Editor, the code coverage color(blue) was not very clearly, so if possible, you could change the VS Theme to be dark, and then check the color again, how about the result?

If still no help, please create a simple unit test project like mine, check it again.

If all test projects have the same issue, I think we would think about the VS IDE, please re-download the VS from the official site, re-install it again.

If just one specific app has this issue, maybe you could share us a simple sample, I will debug it in my side.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:16 AM
  • In addition, I could get code coverage items under the Fonts and Colors like the following screen shot.

If you couldn't get these options, repair or re-install the VS would be workaround for it.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hello Jeremy_Cook,

The Visual Studio Setup forum is related to install/uninstall Visual Studio. I will move your case to Visual Studio General forum, that is the correct forum.

By the way, I see the following tips:

To get accurate results:

• Make sure that compiler optimization is turned off.

If you are working with unmanaged (native) code, use a debug build.

• Make sure that you are generating .pdb (symbol) files for each assembly.

If you don’t get the results you expect, see Troubleshooting Code Coverage. . Don’t forget to run code coverage again after updating your code. Coverage results and code coloring are not automatically updated after you modify your code or when you run tests.

Is it possible that you haven't run it again after you modify your code?

Best regards,

Barry

Monday, February 22, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi Barry,

In my case, it appears that the Visual Studio is incorrectly configured.    I built a new Win 10 system and installed VS 2015 Enterprise with Update 1 from scratch, and the following Coverage items were not available under Tools/Options/Fonts and Colors:

On my other system with the exact same version of Visual Studio installed, these 3 are not listed, yet I am able to run code coverage analysis, and see the percentage results.   In this case, none of the troubleshooting tips really apply as it appears the ability even show code coverage coloring is missing in the IDE.

Thanks
    Jeremy

Monday, February 22, 2016 6:23 PM
  • Hi Jeremy,

I just create a simple unit test, and then collect the code coverage, I could see the color well in my VS2015 with update 1.

If you use the blue theme in your VS Editor, the code coverage color(blue) was not very clearly, so if possible, you could change the VS Theme to be dark, and then check the color again, how about the result?

If still no help, please create a simple unit test project like mine, check it again.

If all test projects have the same issue, I think we would think about the VS IDE, please re-download the VS from the official site, re-install it again.

If just one specific app has this issue, maybe you could share us a simple sample, I will debug it in my side.

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:16 AM
  • In addition, I could get code coverage items under the Fonts and Colors like the following screen shot.

If you couldn't get these options, repair or re-install the VS would be workaround for it.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:18 AM