Shutdown/Hibernate Issues in Windows Developer Preview

Question

• I've recently installed the Developer Preview, and everything seems nice and fine.

I do have one small exception though, after choosing either Shutdown, or Hibernate, the computer will shut down correctly, but when turned on later will just hang at a black screen that says "Windows Developer Preview" until I have to force shutdown the computer. After that, it will boot properly, but it kind of disables my ability to use Hibernate or even the traditional Shutdown function. 

The only function that seems to work properly without hanging is the Restart option, and Sleep mode.

Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:17 AM

Answers

• Hey Theboa,

Please try installing the latest version of all available drivers for your computer from Lenovo. The link below will take you to Lenovo's website:
    Lenovo Support - Download Drivers and Software

If a driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps. 

Steven
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:05 PM

All replies

• I was just about to make a thread on this. I have the exact same issue. It probably has to do with how the kernel and core processes are hibernated even on normal shutdown in WDP. It seems like for some reason our systems can't recover hibernated stuff. After we do a hard reboot, it does a clean boot, therefore it works. Maybe, if there's no way to solve this, there is a way to disable this partial hibernate-on-shutdown?

EDIT: I've found out how to disable "Hybrid Boot", as it is apparently called: Go to Power Options in the Control Panel, select "Choose what the power button does" in the sidebar on the left, click "Change settings that are currently unavailable", then finally untick "Enable Hybrid Boot".

However, this isn't a solution, just a workaround.

• Edited by Jules_C Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:22 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Yeah, disabling Hybrid Boot seemed to help with the Shutdown issue, however Hibernate is still a no-go, so I'm stuck using Sleep mode.

I may try a clean install later, see if anything changes (I had ported over Windows 7 users and files), but I hope it is fixable. I mean, regardless the startup and shutdown times are fantastic, but I miss my hibernate working correctly like it did in Win 7.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:10 AM
  • The Hybrid Boot or Hibernate only works if ALL the proper drivers are being installed. In my own experience, after installing the GPU driver, I had the option to put my PC into hibernation. The reason why shut down (with Hybrid Boot enabled) or hibernate fail (if drivers have been installed) may be due to the fact that hibernation is NOT even being enabled. Hibernation or shut down of Windows ‘8’ Developer Preview requires the creation of page file on your hard disk, which includes everything in your RAM after the Windows is logged off. Unfortunately, there are cases when the hibernation has not been enabled. If it’s not enabled, giving command to put PC into hibernation or shut down will result into the classic “Blue Screen of Death” because no page file was found in the hard disk. This is indeed an old issue which exists back to Windows Vista era. You just have to manually enable hibernation. Launch ‘Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges’. Type ‘powercfg –h on’. Press enter to enable hibernation.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Well I'm not really getting a BSOD, the computer shuts down, saves things and turn off like it should, but upon turning it back on, it will just hang at the Windows Developer Preview black screen, with no rotating circles. Sleep works, it resumes properly, Shutdown now works after disabling Hybrid Boot, but Hibernate is still stuck. Like I said, I installed over Windows 7 keeping my files and such, I'm sure there are probably conflicting drivers and crazy wacky things going on. Hibernate used to work fine in Windows 7 too, so I don't know why I'd be experiencing this problem now.

When I get more time this weekend I will try to backup remaining documents, format, install 8 again, and go from there, I'm sure that'll probably help in some way, but thank you for your time and answers.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:12 AM
  • I have the same problem as Saff314, but I did a clean install, all of my hardware is working properly, and I have a hiberfil.sys file of the proper size on my hard drive, so I'm pretty sure none of those are the issue.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Have you tried to enable hibernation using command prompt with administrative privileges?

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Yeah, hibernate is on, button is displayed, command prompt for powercfg -h on is enabled. Just seems to be an issue with probably our hardware, or the preview. I can resume from sleep fine, shutdown fine (only after disabling Hybrid boot), but Hibernate is still borked.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 4:52 PM
  • I suggest you send Feedback on this issue through the Connect Website.

If you want to leave feedback on the issue you are experiencing, then go to thread listed below and use the instructions from BillFill's post onWednesday, September 14, 2011 8:27 PM and use the Connect website to give feedback on this issue. Bill's give a code to use on the Connect website.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/de1d67d8-bf19-493b-a143-f422e57b1b0f

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:52 PM
  • Hello Saff,

I'm sorry to raise this topic after a period of inactivity, but I have exactly the same problem as you've described. The system is Lenovo S12 running Windows 8 32 bit.

Have you managed to resolve this issue? (I mean resuming te system from hibernation).

If anyone can help resolving this problem, I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:56 PM
  • Hey Theboa,

Please try installing the latest version of all available drivers for your computer from Lenovo. The link below will take you to Lenovo's website:
    Lenovo Support - Download Drivers and Software

If a driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Hope that helps. 

Steven
    Monday, January 9, 2012 9:05 PM