.NET 2.0 Framework patches overwrite web.config SessionState Mode? RRS feed

• Question

• User1430095021 posted

This has happened to me twice now.  A web garden, running sessionState in StateServer mode reverts back to InProc mode after certain patches are applied to .NET Framework. 

We are in a formal environment with development, internal test, external test, and production, so I cannot control timing or nature of patches.  At best, I can document and convey to groups involved, including helpdesk, netops, test, users, etc.

I have been looking for an answer to this all day on Google, MSDN, etc, and can find nothing other than obsolete references to State Service being shut down (we don't have that problem).  I would love something in writing, KB article would be best, to explain and/or resolve the problem. FYI, I cannot modify the machine.config files of the servers, some of which are load balanced in production.

The results of this configuration change when it occurs are "symptom rich" - what a doctor once said to me when asked what would happen if a blood clot on a relative's artery were to break free.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

• User-1432396149 posted

Sorry for the cross post to your message over on the ASP.NET forums. This has just happened to me after upgrading a machine from .NET 3.0 to .NET 3.5. Had been running web gardens and state server for over a year, but now suddenly it's like everything is InProc no matter what the web.config says.

This happened to me once before, but it magically seemed to resolve itself by restarting the machine. No such joy now--any ideas?!

Sunday, February 8, 2009 5:24 PM
  • User-1432396149 posted
    Answered my own question after hours of debugging: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/526697/upgrade-from-net-3-0-to-3-5-sites-set-to-stateserver-revert-to-inproc-when-in-w I submit that this is a bug/unintended behavior of the .NET Framework installer/updater.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 12:51 AM
  • User2122159932 posted

The link is not working, please check

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:46 AM
  • User-1432396149 posted

The link works fine, but here's a tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/b8pvjm

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:52 AM