AD security group for sharepoint list alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Did anyone using SharePoint Security groups (email enabled) for SharePoint list alerts. I can able to add the AD group to the sharepoint groups for permission, but when I use the same AD group for the alerts, its giving the error as

The following users do not have e-mail address specified. Alerts have been created successfully but these users will not receive e-mail notifications untill valid-email address have been provided.

When I cheked for the email address is not updated for the AD group. How can I update the email address in the site.

Some how with changing filter criteria i imported all the AD security group into SSP (even though its not recomended but to have the email address). And those groups in SSP have all the email addresses imported. But these are not updates in Sites even though i forced the sync operation using stsadm. ( user profiles are syncing successfully).

If any one able to get the AD security group used for sharepoint alerts and I appreciate if they share how they could able to get the email address in site. Without having email address the alerts wont work

Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

This issue could be a little complex, so we need to do some steps in order to narrow down the problem’s scope.

As the first step, please create a brand new security group in AD and test it in the same environment. To do this, we can judge if there is anything wrong with the security group creation. Use the following steps, please:

1.       Create a new test security group;

2.       Create Exchange task;

Note: You may refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997493(EXCHG.65).aspx for guide about this step.

3.       Add users for the group;

4.       Open the web application, and go into document library;

5.       Go into Actions and then to Alert Me, and Set Alerts, add this newly created group;

Try to see if the group can receive alerts without error message. Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:53 AM