inserting a null value into sql from access RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to import a table from access to sql. When I try to import select null as [check] from table it shows an error the null value in the source table is a bigbinary and the column in destination table is an integer. How can I put a null value in a column in sql from the import wizard.

Debra has a question

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Debra,

This forum is used to discuss about Access developing issue, your issue is more related with SQL, I will move this thread to the more related forum.

Reference: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlservermigration

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 3:29 AM
  • Hi Debra,

Please post the full error message when you fail to import table from access to SQL Server.

In addition, create a destination table that contains a binary or varbinary column, during the import process, map the bigbinary column to this new column in the Column mapping page and click Nullable to allow a null value.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 5:55 AM
  • I am trying to use the sql import wizard to import a table from access to sql This is the query I put in to import:

SELECT JOURNAL, AMOUNT, NULL AS CREDITCARDNUMBER, NULL AS REDEPOSITDATE FROM RTABLE

The import wizard automatically made the creditcardnumber column source as a bigbinary column even though in the destination it's an nvarchar, and the redepositdate column to bigbinary even though in the destination its a date. It didn't even allow me to click the finish button to complete the import because it was ok with the conversion of a bigbinary to an nvarchar but not the bigbinary to a date. The error message that is written is Found 1 unknown column type conversion The package will not be run. What should I do about it? I would really like to import a null value. (Is there a way to change the source column to be a date so there won't be any problems?)

Debra has a question

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:16 PM