Exclusive operation is in progress, ErrorCode: DeviceUnavailable RRS feed

• Question

• I am building an IoT solution, in which I often test the connection to different IoT hubs. To test the connection, I register a test device with the name 'testDevice', check that it is registered, and then de-register it. 

Recently, I started getting this error when trying to register the device in my C# code.

ErrorCode:DeviceUnavailable; Exclusive operation is in progress

Tracking Id:072a5fdbb11c48c29df5101f69c70d64-G:4-TimeStamp:06/17/2016 19:51:23

ErrorCode:DeviceUnavailable

Does this have to do with some limitations on how many devices you can register? or the fact that I have been re-using the device name? Why am I getting this error? In my research I could not find documentation for what this means.

Also, does anyone have better practices to recommend for testing the connection to an IoT hub? 

Thanks!

Danielle

Friday, June 17, 2016 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Danielle,

If you automated this testing process you could run into timing issues on the backend. Where a device ID is being referenced while the create or delete transaction is not yet finished.

In terms of limitations IoT Hub throttles registry calls down to 100 per second per unit maxed out at 5000 per minute. Doesn't seem likely this is your issue. You can find more details here.

Would it make for you to just register test devices on each hub and then use those for a regular ping-test?

Please mark answered question as anwered to let others know about it.

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:23 PM