Resources.resx and Settings.settings missing in Store app blank project

Question

• In VS2013, I was used to using Resources.resx to add text, images, and other things to regular Windows projects. Same with stored settings in Settings.settings.

When I created a Windows 8.1 blank store app, those two files are not there.  How do you add all your text, and things that will require translation and all that?  Has that whole thing changed?

Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:29 PM

Answers

• Windows Store apps and WPF apps do not deal with g18n and l10n the same way. It's not just the same thing with a renamed extension. In Windows Store apps localized strings go in the resw file. Localized images are shipped loose in the project and differentiated by folder or file extension. See the docs I linked previously for details.

Also take a look at the Multilingual App Toolkit

You can add a Resources.Resw file to projects that need it with the Add New Item... wizard. There is no file analogous to settings.

Add.New Item... menu

Add New Item. Resources File

--Rob

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:09 AM
    Owner

All replies

• The blank app project is deliberately includes only minimal files to show a blank screen. To add resources you need to add a resource.resw file yourself. There is a template for this in the Project.Add file... menu.

See Globalizing your app (XAML) for information on resw files for l10n in Windows Store apps. In particular see How to prepare for localization and Quickstart: Translating UI resources

--Rob

Sunday, September 14, 2014 2:48 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, I found that last link.  I'm finding this full of problems.

Firstly, the Desktop blank WPF DOES create Resources.resx and Settings.settings, but the Store blank app does NOT. This is not elucidated in the documentation for beginners accustomed to following the standard Windows templates, and tools like the Windows 8 Petzold book.

Also, there apparently has been a name change. Resources.resx is now Resources.resw?  And you cannot drop images, audio or the other long list of things this desktop app I'm translating had in there. Just strings? 

Also, if you notice, in a Desktop app, if you add a string to the Resources.resx file, it appears in the Designer Window. Allowing you to see the layout.  In the Store app, it does NOT appear. It is blank.  You must build, and execute the program otherwise the designer shows blank always.

Also there appears to be no Title property in the store app window.  How do you change the title?

Sunday, September 14, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Further:

I just checked Grid, Hub, Pivot apps for Windows Store/Universal.  None of them included Resources.res*, nor Settings any longer.

Monday, September 15, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Windows Store apps and WPF apps do not deal with g18n and l10n the same way. It's not just the same thing with a renamed extension. In Windows Store apps localized strings go in the resw file. Localized images are shipped loose in the project and differentiated by folder or file extension. See the docs I linked previously for details.

Also take a look at the Multilingual App Toolkit

You can add a Resources.Resw file to projects that need it with the Add New Item... wizard. There is no file analogous to settings.

Add.New Item... menu

Add New Item. Resources File

--Rob

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 1:09 AM
    Owner