SQL Server 2008R2 Log Shipping RRS feed

• Question

• I setup log shipping on two servers and the .tuf file is here d:\programs\mssql10_50.mssqlserver\mssql\data\ <>.tuf instead of where my .trn files are being copied to.
    New for 2008?
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:06 PM

Answers

• In another forum I was told the location for the .tuf was a change for SQL Server 2008 to D:\programs\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:21 PM
  • If you configured Log Shipping with Standby mode then .TUF file will create in Secondary server to keep uncommitted transactions but  there is change in location of .TUF file in Sql Server 2008 and Sql Server 2008 R2.

In Sql Server 2008,  .TUF file will create in location where .trn files are copied on Secondary Server like Sql Server 2005 and This file will create automatically after restoration of first log backup on Secondary Server.

In Sql Server 2008 R2,  .TUF file will create in location where you located Database files on Secondary Server.

I think due to security reason there is change in location of .TUF file in new version of Sql server.  Becoz if this file remains in same location like Sql Server 2008 then it become very difficult to find out or manage .tuf file among the .trn files and sometime by mistake it can delete by DBA and which will stop restoration of log backup on Secondary Server.

• Proposed as answer by Marco Carozzi Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:28 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:58 AM

All replies

• Tuf file should be available in the destination server when Stand by mode is opted.Could you please confirm all your folder structures used for log shipping(Including Primary and Secondary),this will help us to confirm where it should be ideally.

Thank you,

AnupSivaDas | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Primary Backup folder
    ---------------------
    Network path:
    \\<server>\Log_Shipping_Backup
    Drive\folder:
    F:\Log_Shipping_Backup

Secondary copy folder
    ---------------------
    F:\Log_Shipping_Copy

Location of .tuf file on secondary:
    ------------------------------------
    D:\programs\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\<database name>_20110914143000.tuf

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:39 PM
  • This is strange,Have you tried any role changes? I know there was an issue in 2000 server where a role change triggers TUF to be created in Win32 folder,however behaviour like this in 2008 R2 is not common.

Thank you,

AnupSivaDas | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:15 PM
  • In another forum I was told the location for the .tuf was a change for SQL Server 2008 to D:\programs\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:29 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Thanks,you mean the same location where you put your system databases?

Thank you,

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Yes.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:04 PM
  • If you configured Log Shipping with Standby mode then .TUF file will create in Secondary server to keep uncommitted transactions but  there is change in location of .TUF file in Sql Server 2008 and Sql Server 2008 R2.

In Sql Server 2008,  .TUF file will create in location where .trn files are copied on Secondary Server like Sql Server 2005 and This file will create automatically after restoration of first log backup on Secondary Server.

In Sql Server 2008 R2,  .TUF file will create in location where you located Database files on Secondary Server.

I think due to security reason there is change in location of .TUF file in new version of Sql server.  Becoz if this file remains in same location like Sql Server 2008 then it become very difficult to find out or manage .tuf file among the .trn files and sometime by mistake it can delete by DBA and which will stop restoration of log backup on Secondary Server.

• Proposed as answer by Marco Carozzi Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:28 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi Neeraj,

can you please define the working of .tuf file in log shipping.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi Abhishek,

File .TUF stands for Transaction undo file and it is used for storing uncommit transactions.

In log shipping, When first Tlog backup will restore on Secondary DB after configuring log shipping then it will create .TUF file on secondary server.  There may be chance that first Tlog backup may contain some uncommint transactions so when Tlog backup will restore on Scondary DB then All commit transactions will restore on Secondary DB and All uncommit transactions will store on .TUF file.

Now when again second Tlog backup will restore on Secondary DB then first of all , it will look .TUF file to see whehter all Uncommit transactions are going to commit on second tlog backup or not.

If yes, then uncommit transactions will remove from .TUF file and apply to second DB.

If No, then uncommit transactions will remain on .TUF file.

So All uncommit transactions will remain on .TUF file until they are not going to commit. If you miss .TUF file due to any reason then next Tlog backup will not restore on Secondary DB.

i hope u will get ur answer.....

Mark As Answer If My Reply Is Helpful
    Thanks
    Neeraj Bhandari (MCTS - Sql Server 2008)

• Proposed as answer by Mandeep Mandy Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:29 PM