ReportViewer Feedback RRS feed

  • Question

  • Is there some place to submit feedback on the 2010 ReportViewer?  I just started using VS2010 with the 2010 ReportViewer and have run into some difficulties.  In one app, I have converted over all of the Crystal Reports to RDLC and in another app I have converted the RDLC 2005 reports to RDLC 2008 format.

    • Bug in using a boolean field as a tablix filter (workaround is to enter an expression of '=true' without the single quotes)
    • Cannot suppress page headers for all but the first page.  Why would someone want the page header on all pages but the last one??  This is a long standing problem that a lot of people have complained about.
    • Having column headers repeat on each page is not intuitive.  Tablix properties to display them seem to have no affect.  Have to turn on advanced mode and set from there.
    • Exceptions in processing a subreport are not passed along to the main report.  Subreport just doesn't display and no useful reason is given.  Have to run the subreport directly to see the exception.
    • Export formats are too limited for local reports.  It is nice that the Word export was added, but it would be nice if some more of the export formats that the server reports support would be added as well.
    • It would also be nice if we didn't have to pass in the desired rendering extension to the ExportDialog.  The ExportDialog should list all of the available rendering extensions for the user to choose from.
    • Access to view the report data sources and parameters in the IDE is not intuitive.  Should be available from the Report menu, not View menu.
    • Should be able to more easily change page margins and landscape/portrait at runtime.  Have to read and modify the XML of the report definition before loading to the report viewer.  Should be able to set the report's properties instead.
    • Would be nice if more report properties had the ability to use expressions to customize things at runtime (especially the size and location of controls).


    Overall, I like the ReportViewer more than Crystal Reports, but there is some give and take.  The latest version of the ReportViewer does correct some of the problems that I had encountered with RDLC 2005 format, which is good.

    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:00 PM


All replies

  • Hi gpraceman, thank you for your feedback. I forwarded it to the dev team already and I'll try to help with a few bullets here:

    1. Not sure why you're not seeing error messages for subreport. You should be able to see them and detailed subreport messages can be turned on with LocalReport.ShowDetailedSubreportMessages.

    2. Which rendering extension would you like to see that's not in the default export list? Some rendering extensions don't have readers for their file formats so it's not useful to display them.

    3. You should be able to change page properties using ReportViewer.GetPageSettings, ReportViewer.SetPageSettings, and ReportViewer.ResetPageSettings.

    In case you haven't seen it, What's New in Microsoft Reports also gives a summary of the new features and functionalities in the 2010 ReportViewer.

    Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:18 PM
  • By the way, do you mind submitting your bugs and feedback to
    Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Marked as answer by gpraceman Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:39 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Thanks for passing on the feedback.

    1) Ah, I wish I had known that earlier.  That would have saved me some time.

    2) Some formats that I lost when converting my Crystal Reports were CSV, HTML, RTF, and Text.  Hopefully, I will not get much grief from my users for that, but hopefully, they will see the benefits.  The ReportViewer has its issues, but I have had less problems with the performance, flexibility and redistributable installation of my app running ReportViewer as opposed to my app running Crystal Reports.

    3) I believe that I had tried that, but ran into the complaint that the page size needed to be set to Custom.  Even when I tried doing that, I still couldn't make it work.

    Also, it would be great if a standard header and footer could be created and inserted into a report.  That would save a lot of work if something needed to be changed, as there would only be one place to make the change.

    Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for the link.  I submitted the bug report and my feedback.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:39 PM