none
Phantom duplicate images being saved by EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using EW4 for almost 2 years, and this problem just began a couple of days ago. I swear I have changed no settings. Suddenly I began to notice that, when I view the folder in Windows Explorer, every image file was accompanied by another file with exactly the same name and extension. The original file displays as a thumbnail as usual, but the duplicate is represented by the MS Office Picture Manager logo (my default image viewer).

In Expression Web the same folder's file directory lists each image only once, as it should.

In Windows Explorer, if I click on one of the real files, Picture Manager opens and shows all of the real files and none of the bogus ones. If I click on one of the bogus files in Windows Explorer, Picture Manager opens listing all the files with little red X's. That is, the directory displays only the bogus files, and none of the real ones. If I select all of these bogus files and delete them within Picture Manager, the folder then appears to be empty. In Explorer, only the real images remain, and everything appears correct.

BUT when I go back into Expression Web and save a new or modified page, the duplicate/bogus images reappear. At first only those on the new/modified pages double up, but within the time it takes to save a couple more pages, all of the images in the folder have phantom duplicates.

If I leave the files alone and continue working in EW, there are no further duplications. That is, each image file is matched only once by a same-named non-file.

Since I am able to delete the files without apparent effect, this is not so much a problem as an aggravation...and a mystery. Can anyone solve it?

• Edited by CactusX Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:21 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:21 PM

Answers

• I'm just speculating, but it seems that this might be an Explorer/OS issue. As you say, same-named files should not be able to even exist in the same folder. Also, EW doesn't display them in its file manager. This may have nothing to do with EW at all. Have you tried any of the free (or free-trial commercial, like PowerDesk) 3rd-party file managers to see if they also display them?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by CactusX Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:56 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:15 PM

All replies

• Are the duplicates in a _vti_cnf folder? If so, leave them alone - they are required by Expression Web, being the hidden meta data files that help manage your site.
    Any files you have deleted will be re-created, but with some data missing (history of editing and publishing, possibly pages that link to the file).

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Thanks for the thought, but there are no duplicates and no images in the _vti_cnf folder, which contains only .html documents. This is happening only with image files, and they are in the same folder as the originals. The strange files have the exact same names as the originals and are in the same folder, which should be impossible.

I have some screenshots which would help explain this, but this forum says it has to verify my account before I can send attachments or links.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I'm just speculating, but it seems that this might be an Explorer/OS issue. As you say, same-named files should not be able to even exist in the same folder. Also, EW doesn't display them in its file manager. This may have nothing to do with EW at all. Have you tried any of the free (or free-trial commercial, like PowerDesk) 3rd-party file managers to see if they also display them?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by CactusX Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:56 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:15 PM
  • You must be right, Scott. I downloaded and installed Q-Dir, a simple file manager. The duplicate files do not appear in its directories. So I guess I'll pursue this with MS Windows. Thanks for the guidance.
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 9:57 PM