none
How to copy text from one column and paste to the end of pre exsisting text in another column. RRS feed

• Question

• In Excel, I'm sure there was a way to make a macro or function that copy's text from an entire column from either another file or the same file to the end of text for each entry in another column.

I have a column of numbers that go to links to a websites inventory. each link is exactly the same but the difference is each one will use that individual number at the end.

I cant remember if its possible to make this second column (after I put the beginning of the URL in question) duplicate the information from another specified column by adding it to the end of the pre existing information in the desired column.

Example:

1          |          www.website.com/          -change to-          www.website.com/1

2          |          www.website.com/          -change to-          www.website.com/2

3          |          www.website.com/          -change to-          www.website.com/3

4          |          www.website.com/          -change to-          www.website.com/4

5          |          www.website.com/          -change to-          www.website.com/5

And there are thousands of entry so its not so simple as to do it manually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also a side note. the numbers also sometimes contain letters(a) and dashes(-).

Also if its possible I could just make 3 separate columns that have 1/3 the link and can somehow remove the boarders between them to make into a full URL

| www.website.com/ | 1 | .jpg |

then merge the rows into

| www.website.com/1.jpg |

• Edited by cbprophet Monday, October 16, 2017 11:36 PM merging to avoid needless extra replys.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 5:54 PM

Answers

• Alright I found out how to do it. I needed to use Word.

I did what I wanted to do with the 3 separate columns, but then I copied all 3 columns and pasted them into word and chose to keep text only. then pressed ctrl + H to replace all the spaces in the document with nothing and then I was left with all perfectly working URLs. After that I of course pasted that information into a new column in Excel and I was done.

• Marked as answer by cbprophet Monday, October 16, 2017 7:08 PM
    • Edited by cbprophet Monday, October 16, 2017 7:08 PM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 7:08 PM