cannot attach other program RRS feed

• Question

• Am sure this was bug of vs . when I added own Module into vs, but I cannot find my own module name when I debugged. EG. i named it as "test" and add it into module set via vs, but I cannot find this name in my program. i checked many threads in MSDN forum, but i cannot find any helpful ones. addtionalaly, it made me crazy now, you know, my project was delayed because this, i think it was vs bug,  it was.

thanks, Cup

Monday, July 18, 2011 2:19 PM

Answers

• Am sure this was bug of vs . when I added own Module into vs, but I cannot find my own module name when I debugged. EG. i named it as "test" and add it into module set via vs, but I cannot find this name in my program.  

i checked many threads in MSDN forum, but i cannot find any helpful ones. addtionalaly, it made me crazy now, you know, my project was delayed because this, i think it was vs bug,  it was.

thanks, Cup

[Forrest] hi, I'm Forrest from the Online service support team. I can understand that this problem troubles you a lot, and I'd like to follow up with you to work out the problem.

Would you please let us know where did you look for the name? As I understand, it's supposed that after we made correct intellitrace setting, user could check *call information* in the IntelliTrace window. 

The call information including function call paramether, Function Entry and events. Only call information from *Specified* module will be recorded.

We check call information like following:

The settings I made in my side is like the following:

refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev10.query?appId=Dev10IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(VS.TOOLSOPTIONSPAGES.DEBUGGING_HISTORY.MODULES)%3bk(TargetFrameworkMoniker-%22.NETFRAMEWORK%2cVERSION%3dV4.0%22)%3bk(DevLang-CSHARP)&rd=true#Modules

• Edited by Forrest Guo Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:32 AM resize image.
    • Marked as answer by CupOverTheTable Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:34 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:31 AM

All replies

• Anyone? why did i see moderator involve some threads very quickly, but not mine!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi Cup,

Thank you for your post.

According to my limited knowledge, could you please let me know if the “Module” you mentioned is the method Module in Visual Basic?

You said cannot attach other program. Which program you want to attach?

Would you provide entirely specific steps of your actions to help me reproduce this scenario?

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:24 AM
  • No, alex. this module was added into my applicationi by intellitrace. i added "test" module in module set via vs. But i didint' find it during debugging intellitrace. This is the bug i think because i can find the module if i use by default all modules expects, but custom didint. moreover, i have waited your this no technical reply ONE DAY. i said i'm a little emergency. i want to know did you really know the technology of microsoft? if you want know steps, i suggest you can open a http://www.google.com. enter the words you were interested in, and you will find many many infomration to study! i did didnt image microsoft emplyee's technology was such poor! no one trained you before you got this job?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:42 PM
  • anybody can help me solve this question? my mistake or Microsoft's product.

Thanks, Cup

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Am sure this was bug of vs . when I added own Module into vs, but I cannot find my own module name when I debugged. EG. i named it as "test" and add it into module set via vs, but I cannot find this name in my program.  

i checked many threads in MSDN forum, but i cannot find any helpful ones. addtionalaly, it made me crazy now, you know, my project was delayed because this, i think it was vs bug,  it was.

thanks, Cup

[Forrest] hi, I'm Forrest from the Online service support team. I can understand that this problem troubles you a lot, and I'd like to follow up with you to work out the problem.

Would you please let us know where did you look for the name? As I understand, it's supposed that after we made correct intellitrace setting, user could check *call information* in the IntelliTrace window. 

The call information including function call paramether, Function Entry and events. Only call information from *Specified* module will be recorded.

We check call information like following:

The settings I made in my side is like the following:

refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/query/dev10.query?appId=Dev10IDEF1&l=EN-US&k=k(VS.TOOLSOPTIONSPAGES.DEBUGGING_HISTORY.MODULES)%3bk(TargetFrameworkMoniker-%22.NETFRAMEWORK%2cVERSION%3dV4.0%22)%3bk(DevLang-CSHARP)&rd=true#Modules

• Edited by Forrest Guo Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:32 AM resize image.
    • Marked as answer by CupOverTheTable Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:34 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hello Forrest,

I think you understood my meaning, but I have a little confusion about this new feature of vs2010. Check the following code.

IntelliTraceTest.Class1 myTest = new Class1();
    Int32 i = myTest.calc(1, 2);

Console.WriteLine("123");

I can trace second line, but I cannot trace Console.WriteLine line, but System.dll module has been loaded into project. Any suggestions Forrest?

Thanks,

Cup

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi Cup,

Nice to know that we're on the same page. Since the Console.WriteLine is .NET Framework function, in order to debug or trace the WriteLine, you need to configure your Visual Studio to debug .NET Framework source code.  Take VS2010 as example below, and VS2008 slightly different.

1. General Settings

Also uncheck "Require source files to exactly match the original version". 

2. Symbol settings

Set the Symbols server to: http://referencesource.microsoft.com/symbols

Symbols should be download after you confirm the settings.  It's supposed that you could step into source code of .NET functions now.  It's likely the symbols downloaded, but source file not downloaded, in this case, you may find source information at bottom link.

Note.  It's possible that .NET Framework installed on our machine has been patched, like VS2010 SP1, but source code doesn't get update on the above symbols server. This makes debug into .NET Framework source code fails.

For your information:

1. There's a detail instruction on how to setup debug session to debug .NET Framework source, you could refer to here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sburke/archive/2008/01/16/configuring-visual-studio-to-debug-net-framework-source-code.aspx

2. Microsoft .NET Framework source availability details here:

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx

Regards,

Forrest

• Edited by Forrest Guo Friday, July 22, 2011 7:25 AM Add note for .NET Framework mismatch.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Hi Cup,

Do you figure out problem in this thread?  If you have further question, please let me know.

Forrest | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Thanks Forrest, I think previous just an exception for Microsoft.

Thanks,

Cup

Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Thank you Cup, we value these kind of feedback. This will help us improve the service quality as well as product quality.

Regards,

Forrest | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:56 PM