What is the best way to store calendar information/appointments. DB vs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm looking at developing a Calendar web app.

Anyhow, my only concern is whether it is worth entering the data in a database, which means that I would a dense table; whereas if I use XML or of the such.

Additionally, I would like to know the cons and pros of each approach, since I sort of doubt XML, but on the other hand its structure may be the perfect solution.(Thus saving on 25 thousand rows when they may just be set in XML as attributes)

Thanks in advance,

And I appreciate your time  

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, 

I'm looking at developing a Calendar web app.

Anyhow, my only concern is whether it is worth entering the data in a database, which means that I would a dense table; whereas if I use XML or of the such.

Additionally, I would like to know the cons and pros of each approach, since I sort of doubt XML, but on the other hand its structure may be the perfect solution.(Thus saving on 25 thousand rows when they may just be set in XML as attributes)

Thanks in advance,

And I appreciate your time  

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Can you elaborate? Multiple calendars per user, working days, different week starts, National holidays, etc, etc
    http://pauliom.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:35 PM
  • I would use a database.

One central table to drive all the days.

Then appointments etc in another table with user id, day, allday, start, finish etc as columns.

For a multi user web application, xml is not really an option due to performance.  No indexes.

This is academic?  There are bunch of calendar web apps already out there for free.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:19 AM
  • To me, I prefer to use XML. It is lightweight, I just need a notepad to edit that.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

Both are valid options.

If your team members are well versed with XML, then you can choose and if they are more used to RDBMS kind of development then that will be the best option.

What kind of RDBMS, commercial or open source all these need to be taken into consideration

WBR,

prasadpnvrk

regards, pnvrkprasad
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Without supplying more of the requirements it's impossible to judge. XML will be really bad in certain circumstances, but a good choice in others. Even the type of XML technology you choose can have a big impact on your app.
    http://pauliom.wordpress.com
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yossicadaner Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:50 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 5:49 PM