Most commonly used or frequently accessed document list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Does WSS 3.0 have the capability to produce a commonly used or frequently used documents list?  I would like to have either a separate document library containing the most frequently accessed documents from another list or a way to sort by the most accessed documents in a particular list. If anyone thinks there's a way to do this, please respond.

Thank you!

UPDATE: Please close this ticket as I'm no longer working at this employer

• Edited by E. Owen Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:25 PM no longer working here
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,  create a list in which you can store the document link and number of times accessed the document by adding onclick of the documents in the document library, After this you can sort the list getting the most accessed documents,
    Anil
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi Anil:

Forgive my ignorance, but could you please explain adding the "onclick" metric to a SharePoint list?  How does one define this metric?  As a calculated value or something else?  Please explain a little further, thank you!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Onclick of the document link in the listveiwwebpart of the document library just add the incremented value to the fields  value by script.
    Anil
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Sharepoint Designer also give you the report. Please see the below link if its helpful for you.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/use-reports-to-measure-site-performance-and-usage-HA010174136.aspx

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Thank you for the advice, however this list will be functioning like the "Recent files" list in Windows.

My goal was to have a "quick launch" of the most frequently used documents, since the document library in question is quite large.

I'm not having much luck doing what Anil described.  Has anyone else come across a step-by-step tutorial on this matter?

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Did you ever get an solution for this?
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:23 PM