Master Page -- Quick Launch Customization RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to customize the Quick Launch in my MOSS 2007 installation.  I have been able to successfully get it so that subsites now inherit the quick launch from the parent site (thanks to this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/33e31ec1-11d0-4d94-b27c-d1385690f172).  What I am trying to do now is have the current site's document libraries, subsites, etc.  Could someone please tell me how to do this?  I have tried simply just adjusting the settings under the navigation section of Site Settings but that doesn't show the current site's document libraries, subsites, etc. . . . only the parent's.  

To be a little more specific, under the Site Settings > Navigation, there is a section entitled "Current Navigation", I'd like to be able to not only see the parent's navigation items but also the navigation items below the current site.  Is this possible?

Thank You In Advance,

SharePointPonderer

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 5:45 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that you have root site, sub site, subsub site in a site collection. But you want to have the same thing displayed in the left navigation bar  (current navigation) in every site.

You had tried setting the current navigation in sub site to Display the current site, the navigation items below the current site, and the current site’s sibling;

And set the current navigation in subsub site to Display the same navigation item as the parent site.

But the left navigation still does not look exactly the same for all the site.

I think that left navigation designed in this way is reasonable:

o   If the current navigation has been designed to display link to every document libraries in its sub sites , the left navigation may will become too long;

o   If you want to display the link to all the document libraries in the quick launch, you should have put all the document libraries in one site, instead of having deep hierarchical site structure;

Alternatively, you can create a page with a Table of Content web part  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/use-the-table-of-contents-web-part-to-display-navigation-on-a-web-page-HA010167419.aspx , and put a link to this page onto the master page. I had even tried inserting the Table of content web part into the master page directly, it will work on every site.

Gu Yuming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Friday, April 8, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Gu,

Thank you for your answer, however, that doesn't exactly explain what I'm trying to do -- perhaps my initial description could have been better?

My environment is as follows:

I have a parent site and then from this there are 16 subsites (representing each department at my company).  I would like to be able to have the Sites that are listed on the parent site (and that are security trimmed) to be shown on each of the subsites.  In addition, I would like the Pictures, Documents, Lists, Tasks headings displayed on the subsites to be that of the current subsite that the user is currently visiting.

I hope that this has helped to explain my situation a little better.  I hope to hear from you and others soon.

Kind Regards,

Jerry

Friday, April 8, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I have a parent site and then from this there are 16 subsites (representing each department at my company).  I would like to be able to have the Sites that are listed on the parent site (and that are security trimmed) to be shown on each of the subsites.  In addition, I would like the Pictures, Documents, Lists, Tasks headings displayed on the subsites to be that of the current subsite that the user is currently visiting.

My test is that if you set the current navigation in sub site to Display the current site, the navigation items below the current site, and the current site’s sibling, the heading for list, document library, discussion of current site will be displayed, but each specific list, document library will not.

If you set the current navigation in sub site to Display only the navigation items below the current site, the heading for list, as well as each specific list will be displayed, but the current site’s sibling (that is sub sites representing other department in your scenario ) will not be displayed. But if you set the global navigation of the sub site to Display the same navigation items as the parent site, the siblings will be displayed on the global navigation bar (the top link), why do you need it to be displayed on the left navigation (current navigation) again?

See my screenshots here: http://cid-6f40fb61d28cf147.office.live.com/view.aspx/Technology/Current%20Navigation%20Setting%20in%20sub%20site.docx

And please read what follows for more about the navigation:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ecm/archive/2007/02/10/moss-navigation-deep-dive-part-1.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ecm/archive/2007/02/16/moss-navigation-deep-dive-part-2.aspx

Monday, April 11, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Gu,

Good afternoon.  Thank you again for all of the information, however, I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my head around this one.  All that I'm trying to do is have the sites that are shown on the parent site be shown on all of the subsites under where it says "Sites".  I'm sure that there must be a way to do this via modifying the Master Page that I am using (BlueVertical).  

The reason that I need the sites listed on the left is because I cannot do top navigation for two reasons:

1.  Blue Vertical doesn't allow it.

2.  There are too many sites to list across the top of the page without it make the page look horrible.

Please keep the answers coming.  I appreciate your help on this.

Kind Regards,

Jerry

Monday, April 11, 2011 5:23 PM