none
Visual Studio 2015 Community crashes when I do specific things

Question

• For example, if I go to Tools --> Extensions and Updates and then I try to search for an extension, VS will crash as soon as I hit the search button. But I can scroll through the list alphabetically, find the extension I want and install it just fine. It just wont let me search for it.

The message I get when it crashes is:
    "Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program"

A more serious problem is that VS every time I try to open a .js JavaScript file. I have a website folder with all my HTML, CSS and JS files and to open it I go to File --> Open --> Web Site. It loads the site project files correctly into the Solution Explorer and I can open and edit the .html & .css files but as soon as I click on a JavaScript file to open it, VS crashes.

The message I get when it crashes is:
    "Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working. Windows can try to restart the program."

I tried looking for solutions online but nothing really helped.

Things I tried:
     I read things about the problem being because of the _references.js file in Tools --> Options --> Text Editor --> JavaScript --> IntelliSense --> References. But when I go there, I don't even have a _references.js file. I only have libhelp.js, domWindows.js underscorefilter.js and showPlainComments.js

I also read that I should try unchecking the "Auto list members" checkbox in Tools --> Options --> Text Editor --> JavaScript but that didn't help either.

Another thing I tried was to go to Tools --> Options --> Environment --> General and to uncheck "Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance" and then uncheck "Use hardware graphics acceleration if available" but that didn't fix it either.

I'm running Windows 7 fully updated and Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015, Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3.
    Under "Installed products", it says I have "JavaScript Language Service" and "JavaScript Project System".

Thanks

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Please try to run VS in safe mode to see if it’ll crash again.

Run safe mode by using command line:  devenv /safemode

If it doesn’t crash in safe mode, I think this issue is caused by third-party extensions. Then you could try to update the extension to its latest version and update.

Otherwise, you can check the log file of VS and windows to get more specific information.

To get active log of VS:         Devenv /log Path\NameOfLogFile       

To get windows log:  Start -> this PC -> right-click -> Manager -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs

In addition, did you click search button in VS with your project open or in an empty VS IDE? Just want to be sure if this issue was caused by the project itself.  

Please give it try and share us the result of it.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:57 AM
  • After opening VS in safe mode with the command devenv /safemode, I tried searching for a extension and it crashed again. Then I opened it again in safe mode and opened the Web Site project and tried opening a JavaScript file (.js) and it didn't crash.

Then I opened VS normally and tried to open the .js file and it did crash.

When I was in safe mode and I opened the .js file, I got 2 popups.

The first is an error popup that says "An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension. You can get more information by examining the file '[FILE PATH]\ActivityLog.xml'."

The second was a warning popup that says "The 'CommonAzureToolsPackage' package did not load correctly. The problem may have been caused by a configureation change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more information by examining the file '[FILE PATH]\ActivityLog.xml'."
    Looking at this log, the most recent records are as follows:

Log: prnt[DOT]sc/dyq55c

But even though those two messages popup, it still lets me open and edit the .js files (which I can't do unless I'm in safe mode too).

So how do I go about repairing this CommonAzureToolsPackage package?

For reference, I'll include links to images that show all the extensions I have installed (taken in safe mode).

Page 1: prnt[DOT]sc/dyq496
    Page 2: prnt[DOT]c/dyq4gz

Also note that the issue where VS crashes when I try to search for an extension happened before I had even added any extensions. It one of the first things I did after a fresh install of VS 2015 and it crashes every time I try to search for an extension.

IMPORTANT: I tried adding the images directly to the text body but it told me that my account is not verified or something so I can't do that and I couldn't find any way to verify my email/account. So I had to include links to the images like this, sorry. Just copy the the link into the URL bar and replace '[DOT'] with a '.' and go

Thanks,
    Daniel

• Edited by Daniel543M Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:31 AM Clarification on the links
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:30 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Welcome back.

>> The 'CommonAzureToolsPackage' package did not load correctly

To fix this issue you could

1 close all instances of VS

2 remove the contents under the two folders (or rename the folder and Visual Studio will create a new):

C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

Or

You could also try to run:

devenv /clearcache

devenv /updateconfiguration

>> It one of the first things I did after a fresh install of VS 2015 and it crashes every time I try to search for an extension.

If it happens just after you installed VS, I suggest you repair it.

Sincerely,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Hi,
    Are you sure you want me to delete everything in:

"C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0" and in
    "C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0"?

There's about 11 folders and 6 single files in each of those locations. I read a lot of places saying that deleting the contents of the "ComponentModelCache" folder will fix the problem but I've tried that and it doesn't work. So if you confirm that I should delete the contents of those two folder locations above, then I will try it.

I did a fresh install of VS today and the problems are still there. I then also did the repair option and let that finish. Then I restarted my PC but it didn't fix it.

I still can't open a .js file or search for extensions.

EDIT/UPDATE: And now I can't even create a new project. When I click the "New Project" button, the window pops up for a moment the VS crashes and I get the error message. This is absolutely unacceptable. It's wasting so much time. Time which I do not have.

• Edited by Daniel543M Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:59 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:28 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

I feel sorry about you encountering this issue. I really want to help you out.

As I mentioned above:

remove the contents under the two folders (or rename the folder and Visual Studio will create a new). Rename the folders, if you don't want to delete them.

Not sure that it will absolutely work in your side, but it's worth trying.

Please also try to reset all settings: Tools -> Import and Export Settings

Good luck.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Didn't fix it.
    • Proposed as answer by IVan.Simuta Friday, January 27, 2017 1:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by IVan.Simuta Friday, January 27, 2017 1:58 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:05 AM
  • Hi Daniel543M,

VS2017 RC has been released, whether you could download VS2017 RC Community to see whether has the same issue:

Here is the download link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-2017-rc/

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:57 AM
  • if you have 2 graphic processors on PC :

switch (graphic.card.name on my PC)
    {
       case "Intel " : VisualStudio.Crashed();

RightClickMouse on VS.ShortCut
                       Select("Run with graphic processor");
                       Click on morePowerfulProc :-)
                       BeHappy; 
                       break;
       case "NVIDIA" : VisualStudio.WorkingGood(); break;
    }

i have two graphic processors on my PC. I don't know why but any VisualStudio working correct only with Nvidia graphic card;

Friday, January 27, 2017 1:59 PM