Content files are not including in the windows installer setup project's MSI package RRS feed

• Question

• User1228581430 posted

I am trying to create MSI package of the .net web application from visual studio 2013. I have added setup project in the solution from the category windows installer. after configuration of setup project and mentioning Primary project output + content files in setup projects output, I am able to generate MSI package and install it on IIS.

But Compiled TypeScript files which become JavaScript (.JS) files are not included in the MSI package.
    Checked in TypeScript files (.ts) generate .JS files after compilation. I am compiling code using DEVENV.
    These generated.JS files are not coming in the MSI package.

Could you help me here and suggest me the solution to include compiled content files in the package.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 5:10 AM

All replies

• User1771544211 posted

Hi pratik bompilwar,

The Javascript files are missing because technically they are not added to your project.  One work around would be to add them to your project.

To fix this issue you can manually add them to the project by editing the project file.  To do this right click on your project and select unload.  Then right click on the unloaded project and select edit YourProject.csproj.  You should see a section that looks like the following:

<ItemGroup>
      <Content Include="app.css" />
      <Content Include="index.html" />
      <Content Include="web.config" />
    </ItemGroup>
    <ItemGroup>
      <TypeScriptCompile Include="app.ts" />
    </ItemGroup>

We are going to add lines to one of the item groups to manually include our .js files.  The result will look something like:

<Content Include="*.js" />

If you can include as many lines and wildcards as needed depending on how how your application is structured.  Now right click and reload your project, build and publish again.

Best Regards,

Jean

Thursday, August 3, 2017 6:22 AM
  • User1228581430 posted

Thanks Jean for the valuable suggestion.  I tried adding such file in .csproj files. I have total 124 .JS files to add. It is working for few files at starting but later it is throwing error code :1603.
    I tried searching it, but no luck. I have already given full control access/permission to all the files.
    Do you have any idea about Error : 1603 while installation ?

Thursday, August 3, 2017 12:01 PM
  • User1771544211 posted

Hi pratik bompilwar,

Do you mean that you get the 1603 error when you install the web application use the VS generated MSI?

The following link talks about the 1603 error, please take it as reference.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/834484/you-receive-an-error-1603-a-fatal-error-occurred-during-installation-e

Best Regards,

Jean

Friday, August 4, 2017 7:34 AM
  • User1228581430 posted

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reference. I already checked that. It is not working. 
    Looks like DEVENV command locking some of the files when we add it explicitly in .csproj file.
    I am looking for a command to some how to unlock the .JS files. Once it is unlocked, then adding .JS files in .csproj trick will work successfully in my case.
    Could you help me here?

Friday, August 4, 2017 12:03 PM