group columns in sql report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I m creating a report in sql server reporting. Having problem to place the Group column in right place. Whenever I create a Group, the group column goes in the first column of the report instead at the place I want which is 3rd column.

Cant copy and paste columns. Tried everything I knew.

Please advice.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Me.Saqib,

From your description, it seems that you right click a textbox of the third column and add a parent row group, right? When we do this, a new column is created automatically in left of the innermost scope that contains the current textbox. If the textbox is placed in the details row or a static row, the column will be inserted in the left of the data region. The behavior is by design.

Currently, we can add or remove columns in data region, but it does not support moving the position of the columns. If we move columns in detail group, it just change the order of the column. However, when a report has complex structures, for example, there are many column groups or row groups in the data region, moving columns means restructure the report.
    (Note: In the versions later than SQL Server 2005, the “Copy” and “Paste” properties of columns in table is removed.)

Personally, I recommend you that submit a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/.  If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:50 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 11:16 AM