none
ReportViewer not displaying vertical text inside Matrix RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

We've just updated our reporting infrastructure from SSRS2000 to SSRS2008 and are now using the ReportViewer control inside an ASP.NET web app.

All appears to work but we've lost the ability to display vertical text.

I created a very basic report (thinking perhaps the migration to the new RDL broke something) and I still see the same problem.

I can reproduce this by creating a simple matrix and changing the WritingMode property to vertical (for a column header - this value is from my dataset, so we have a dynamic number of columns).

When previewing in Visual Studio it looks great. When viewing in Report Manager it looks great. When actually viewing inside ReportViewer, the text returns to horizontal orientation (thus creating ugly line breaks because the columns are narrow).

Reports are running in server processing mode against a SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition database. The ReportViewer parameters are mostly defaulted except for:

AsyncRendering=true (to get around browser issues with non-IE browsers)

SizeToReportContent=true (doesn't seem to do anything)

I've searched extensively but haven't come across anyone reporting the same issue (though sometimes people reported the text just disappearing).

Is this a known bug or could I be configuring the control incorrectly?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:33 PM

Answers

• Stefan,

Which browser are you using? I'm assuming a non-IE browser. This MSDN topic has the following line:

Due to differences in the rendering engines of the supported browsers, some advance report features, such as text rotation, may be displayed differently across supported browsers.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Marked as answer by Stefan M Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:35 PM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:34 PM

All replies

• Stefan,

Which browser are you using? I'm assuming a non-IE browser. This MSDN topic has the following line:

Due to differences in the rendering engines of the supported browsers, some advance report features, such as text rotation, may be displayed differently across supported browsers.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Marked as answer by Stefan M Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:35 PM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Aha! Thanks, that was absolutely the problem - I (and a tester) were using Firefox 3.6 to view it and were seeing this behaviour.

Seeing as how our last incarnation of reporting only supported IE, I think this is reasonable behaviour for the time being.

Do you have any information as to whether this issue will be addressed in the next release of Report Viewer?

Thank you, also, for the MSDN link. I hadn't stumbled across it before but it had a lot of information I was curious about.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:37 PM