none
General Question about indexing RRS feed

• Question

• Should I only index 1 field? a few? or all fields that I can availably index?

Many Sources state that indexing can speed up the time for commonly used fields, but is there a drawback to indexing all fields?

Most sources say that using indexing makes database more efficient, but they do not say how to properly implement them.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I believe the rule of thumb is to index any field you need for searching. Otherwise, indexing unneeded fields would just slow down the database because every time you update a record, all index will have to be updated also.

Just my 2 cents...

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Hello,

As theDBguy suggested, we could apply index to field we need to find records or sort.

To use index in Access, you could visit Create and use an index to improve performance to detail information.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:12 AM