none
Unable to add additional column of lookup in content type after column is added RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list "Study" which has a column "subject" and "trade" now in another list Documents i add a column with lookup on Study list and on column "subject".After this column is added i check a checkbox under heading "Add a column to show each of these additional fields" for column "trade".

Now this column doesn't get added to content type and I am unable to find option to add this column to content type.Because of this "trade" column is not visible on display form.

Does anyone know how to add this column to content type?

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Shashank,

You cannot add a additional field (trade )which you have selected for display in the list has a content type column in the document list, you can add subject to the Document content type.

If you want to add trade column to documents list content type, while creating lookup select Trade as primary i.e. In This column section and subject has additional fields or else go for a site column approach..

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:09 AM

All replies

• You can do this via contentype definition as

here i am adding a look up column name "Parent" and includes  "Parent:ID" as addition column with this Lookup.

<Field ID="{da02ed52-0932-4dcb-bb2a-bb583ff97ebd}" Type="Lookup" DisplayName="Parent" Required="FALSE" EnforceUniqueValues="FALSE" List="Lists/Subject" ShowField="Title" Indexed="TRUE" RelationshipDeleteBehavior="Restrict"  SourceID="{$ListId:Lists/Subject;}" StaticName="Parent" Name="Parent" />

<Field ID="{57777387-1ca2-4cd1-947c-397e053edfb8}" Type="Lookup" DisplayName="Parent:ID" List="Lists/Subject" ShowField="ID" FieldRef="da02ed52-0932-4dcb-bb2a-bb583ff97ebd" ReadOnly="TRUE" SourceID="{$ListId:Lists/Subject;}" StaticName="Parent_x003a_ID" Name="Parent_x003a_ID" />

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Hi Shashank,

You cannot add a additional field (trade )which you have selected for display in the list has a content type column in the document list, you can add subject to the Document content type.

If you want to add trade column to documents list content type, while creating lookup select Trade as primary i.e. In This column section and subject has additional fields or else go for a site column approach..

Raghavendra Shanbhag | Blog: www.SharePointColumn.com
    Please click "Propose As Answer " if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:09 AM