Why does setting page's BindingContext not work? RRS feed

• Question

• User388603 posted

I'm trying to bind my view model to my page, which is simple like this:

``` public partial class DetailPage : ContentPage { public DetailPage () { InitializeComponent();
    }

public DetailPage(Event _event)
        {
            InitializeComponent();
            BindingContext = new DetailPageViewModel(_event);

}
    }

public class DetailPageViewModel: INotifyPropertyChanged
    {
        private Event _event;
        public Event Event 
        {
            set
            {
                _event = value;
                PropertyChanged?.Invoke(this, new PropertyChangedEventArgs(nameof(Event)));
            }
            get => _event;
        }
        public DetailPageViewModel(Event theEvent)
        {
            Event = theEvent;
        }

public event PropertyChangedEventHandler PropertyChanged;

}

```

Event is a simple model class in my case, it has a Name property.

I just wanna bind its name to a label.

<Label x:Name="nameLabel" Text="{Binding Event.Name}" FontSize="Title"/>

AfterI start debugging, I cannot see the content bound to the view. I get a error in the output. Binding: 'Event' property not found on 'Eventuality.Event', target property: 'Xamarin.Forms.Label.Text'

Why does this happen? Didn't I bind the view model rather than an Event? Did I bind it in a wrong way?

What should I do if I want to bind a view model for the whole page?

Monday, October 14, 2019 4:06 AM

Answers

• User369978 posted

There is another Event class existing in your project , the compile does not know which Event should be taken .

Change the class name of your custom Event , give it a strong Name MyEvent and try again .

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 8:00 AM
  • User369978 posted

According to the binding path , it should be Event.Name not Name , your code works fine on my side ,check my sample .

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:37 AM

All replies

• User369978 posted

There is another Event class existing in your project , the compile does not know which Event should be taken .

Change the class name of your custom Event , give it a strong Name MyEvent and try again .

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:00 AM
  • User388603 posted

@ColeX said: There is another Event class existing in your project , the compile does not know which Event should be taken .

Thank you for your reply. I reviewed my code and I'm sure there's not any other type named Event.

I tried as what you suggested, I changed the name of the Event type, even changed the view model's Event property name. I still get this error.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:53 AM
  • User388603 posted

And I found it works if I set the binding as {Binding Name} instead of {Binding Event.Name}.

But I think I'm binding a view model and not an Event if I'm not wrong...I'm kinda confused.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:02 AM
  • User369978 posted

According to the binding path , it should be Event.Name not Name , your code works fine on my side ,check my sample .

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:37 AM
  • User388603 posted

@ColeX said: According to the binding path , it should be Event.Name not Name , your code works fine on my side ,check my sample .

This is weird. It's supposed to work like that. Anyway, I'm gonna review my code again to find out what's been wrong.

Sunday, October 20, 2019 9:41 AM
  • User369978 posted

Have you tried my project ? Did it work or not ?

Monday, October 21, 2019 12:04 PM
  • User388603 posted

@ColeX said: Have you tried my project ? Did it work or not ?

Sorry to reply late. Your project works well. But I just don't know why mine doesn't work.?

Update: Finally I got some time to check the code. And I found that this happened because another guy set the binding context to something else in somewhere else in the code and I wasn't told about that. WTF! ?

Whatever. Thank you bro!, very much.

Saturday, October 26, 2019 12:01 PM
  • User369978 posted

@GarliCat said:

@ColeX said: Have you tried my project ? Did it work or not ?

Sorry to reply late. Your project works well. But I just don't know why mine doesn't work.?

Update: Finally I got some time to check the code. And I found that this happened because another guy set the binding context to something else in somewhere else in the code and I wasn't told about that. WTF! ?

Whatever. Thank you bro!, very much.

Please mark it as answered .

Monday, October 28, 2019 7:16 AM