none
WFP tests, Enable Sparta Miniport Primary/Tertiary/Quaternary failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having the following problem with WFP tests (WindowsFilteringPlatform_Tests). The "Validate - WFP Usage" job fails as:

Job Failed because Task "Enable Sparta Miniport Primary" Failed
    Job Failed because Task "Enable Sparta Miniport Tertiary" Failed 
    Job Failed because Task "Enable Sparta Miniport Quaternary" Failed

In some test runs, only the "Quaternary" part fails and others succeed; for some reason, the "Secondary" part seems to succeed in every test tun.

Could not find more details in the logs, but managed to capture a screenshot on the test client. There, I can see text in red color,

"Enable-NetAdapter : No MSFT_NEtAdapter objects found with property 'Name' equal to 'Sparta Miniport Quaternary'. Verify the value of the property and retry.
    At line:1 char:1"

Screenshot:

The previous job of the test, installing the Sparta MiniPort interfaces, succeeds, apparently successfully installing four adapters. So this is different from another reported case, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/3929656e-a6db-413f-a142-ea087901091c/hck-install-sparta-miniport-interface-fails?forum=wfp.

HCK version 8.100.25990, testing on Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Can anyone offer a solution?  Thanks, BR, Urmas

Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:05 AM

Answers

• After further investigation it was found that the adapters installed correctly, however due to the environment being dirty, the renaming of the adapters failed. When running the HCK, the expectation is that it is running on a clean machine. To more easily meet these requirements, it is suggested that you create an image of a clean state prior to your HCK setup and run ( using a back-up image or restore point).

Hope this helped,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

• Proposed as answer by Dusty Harper [MSFT] Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by urr Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:48 PM

All replies

• My guess is that the test created virtual miniport with default names(install succeeded). Then another job/task changed the name of each miniport to 'Sparta Miniport Quaternary', etc.

But this renaming didn’t work as expected, so you get error:

"Enable-NetAdapter : No MSFT_NEtAdapter objects found with property 'Name' equal to 'Sparta Miniport Quaternary'. Verify the value of the property and retry.

Can you check the names of the miniports created to match what the test expected?

Thanks

Wendy Liu (MSFT)

Friday, November 15, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Hello,

Names of the network adapters created are

Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter
    Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter #2
    Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter #3
    Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter #4

Did I understand correctly that the test is supposed to name "Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter" to "Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter Primary", "Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter #2" to "Microsoft Sparta Virtual Miniport Test Adapter Secondary" etc?

Since reporting the issue, I installed HCK on another computer and there I managed to pass the tests.  On this other computer, the adapter names appear the same as above after the "Enable Sparta Miniport Primary" etc actions.  Also, in the failing computer, the adapter "secondary" adapter name is still "... #2" not "... secondary" although success is reported for "Enable Sparta Miniport Secondary".

I'm confused about this renaming stuff...

BR, Urmas

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:11 AM
  • The alias for each adapter will get renamed. On Win8+, this means usually that "Ethernet 2" (or whatever index it received) gets renamed to "Sparta Miniport Primary", the next is "Sparta Miniport Secondary", etc.

Will you please email me the log for the failed installation (it is %TEMP%\WFPLogoSetup.NTLog or %WTTBin%\WLK\Networking\Security\Firewalls\Basic_Firewall\Install_Sparta_MiniPort_Interfaces.NTLog ).

email this log to DHarper @AT@ Microsoft .DOT. com

Thanks,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:50 AM
  • After further investigation it was found that the adapters installed correctly, however due to the environment being dirty, the renaming of the adapters failed. When running the HCK, the expectation is that it is running on a clean machine. To more easily meet these requirements, it is suggested that you create an image of a clean state prior to your HCK setup and run ( using a back-up image or restore point).

Hope this helped,

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation

• Proposed as answer by Dusty Harper [MSFT] Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by urr Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:48 PM