none
What is wrong in using of WPP enabled by default at warning level? RRS feed

• Question

• I see that Microsoft by default is disabling it WPP-providers. And only if there is an accident they asked to enabled it at verbose level.  For me it looks reasonable to enable provider by defaults

at warning or error level and have details if there is a problems. Always there is a group of problems that are not easy to reproduce but when they are take place they make a lot of harm. For this cases

enabled WPP will give error - details and that is very good.  

WPP that is enabled at warning levevel should not make big logs and make perfomance degradation AFAIK. So what is the reason to not enable it and what is best practice for this?

• Edited by Alex_Motano Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:46 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• But if they did it, another thousand or so users would complain and demand to disable tracing.

So if you want it on by default, probably you should look at deployment automation tools such as boxstarter.org. Check there if they have a ready config recipe for tracing, if not - make this recipe, and be happy since ever...

-- pa

Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Have you looked at WPP w/ IFR? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn914610(v=vs.85).aspx.

Once enabled, your WPP traces will be stored in a circular buffer accessible via the debugger.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Yes, Wes, that looks great... but works from Windows 10 only as I can see .   I want make desigion: should I enable my driver WPP loging by default during instalation for old(<Windows 10) Windows verssions at warning level or beter not to do this for some reasons that I don't know.
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:39 PM
  • Then maybe you want to set up autologger for your driver when installing.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:28 PM