LightSwitch Completely Broken in VS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi LightSwitch Peeps,

I have been using LS for 8 months now and it worked great. We have a LOB application so a Silverlight / Desktop client was the way to go.

• I have spent hours trying to upgrade the VS 2012 solution with no avail. It does not work out of the box!
    • I have tried creating new Desktop Clients from scratch connecting at first to OData services (504 errors), then to the database directly which also failed dismally. Out of the box it gives me a "400" Bad request!
    • I have tried to make an HTML client with a VERY VERY simple database with like 5 tables with the same results

Clearly internal testing has failed dismally in this release. I am happy to admit when I am wrong but I have been doing this long enough to spot a very very bad release. I will be waiting for a hotfix or a service pack soon.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is this posted at the top of the forum re: etag problem.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/f8987a4c-e39f-4541-b624-ef8cbaa85e4f/known-issue-with-lightswitch-in-visual-studio-2013-etag-value-error-with-attached-odata-and?forum=lightswitch

There is a well-known problem with multiple columns add to a entity unique index.

Apart from that we have quite a few VS2013 LightSwitch projects in development, testing and some deployed. We have several custom extensions in use, one with Dynamics CRM data, another with Salesforce data. I have upgraded a dozen or more VS2012 LightSwitch projects.

Perhaps you should check your environment? Or take each problem objectively.

Cheers

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Hi MorbidCamel

If you want to upgrade your LightSwitch application to Visual Studio 2013, before Upgrade starts, a backup of the current project is made and stored in Backup folder located at the same level in the project folder as the solution file (.sln). The user file settings (.suo file) is also backed up. And follow the upgrading process, it will helpful for you to do that.

Upgrading your LightSwitch projects (Raghuveer Gopalakrishnan)

Upgrading Projects Created in Earlier Versions of LightSwitch

Upgrading Projects That Were Created in an Earlier Version

Regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:07 AM
  • Hi Angie,

Thanks for the reply. I did follow the instructions on the links below after I realized the Lightswitch upgrade failed after I opened my solution. But because it started created "NewXX' folders all over the show I couldn't revert back easily and I had to go back and delete some files and folders to get it to work. I've always wondered if folks there at MS realizes that people just want stuff to work like it used to work but only better. If the upgrade process wasn't flawed I would not need to do all of the steps of disabling extensions etc. Just saying. Also, the impact that has on the overall solution is tremendous as everywhere where a third party control was used it breaks the display hierarchy and substitutes grids where there was charts.

As for the OData problem I think you guys have to start testing with the latest EF. Cause it's not just an e-tag problem. And it STILL doesn't explain how creating a datasource from scratch pointing to the database gives me errors out of the box.

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Also, the impact that has on the overall solution is tremendous as everywhere where a third party control was used it breaks the display hierarchy and substitutes grids where there was charts.

If you install the VS 2013 of the extensions that you are using in your project first and then upgrade your project, you shouldn't have to do any removal/reversions related to extensions. The problem that you'll likely run into in this area, if any, is that the authors of the extensions that you are using haven't updated their extensions to install for VS 2013: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7adf1af0-42ac-442b-8fe0-8d69ef78f9b5/lightswitch-2012-extensions-do-not-work-in-lightswitch-2013?forum=lightswitch

Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team

Monday, December 2, 2013 8:58 AM