MS Access does not recognise option RRS feed

• Question

• User-1793215261 posted

Hello

I have a MS Access db on the server of a Web hosting service in a VS 2013 folder called App_Data.

When I open the folder, then the db, I get this:

http://www.dimadayoub.net/commandLine.jpg

Regardless of how many times I click OK, that message will not go away. What does that message mean 'command line' - this has nothing to do with Command Prompt (MS-DOS) or PowerShell (though I use PowerShell to compile my VS files before uploading them), and how can I ensure that the message does not recur, please?

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:50 PM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Ok IMO this is just how it works. My guess is that when clicking in Filezilla it starts Access with the ftp location but it fails as Access is not designed to handle a FTP path. If your goal is to sometimes get the file from your server to have a look at the content, download the file on your machine and then open the file using Access.

If you need further help for this particular issue, try rather a Filezilla forum. You might be able to configure each file type to either pass the ftp location to the application, or to have the file be downloaded automatically to some local temp file before being opened with the corresponding application.

For example Excel or Word might allow that because this kind of app load the whole file in memory, then you work there and finally you save your changes.

Access works directly on the db file and so it is basically ilmpossible to support continuously reading/writing from/to the file through FTP (which is intended to transfer file, not to share file over a network).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 6:21 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

It looks like you are using a command line to start MS Access on your local machine.  Possibly Process.Start()?  Don't do that.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:28 PM
  • User-1793215261 posted

Hello mgebhard

I can't see that I am. If I go to All Programs | MS Office | MS Access 2007, the programme just opens as normal when I double-click on it. I have also located the original MS Access db file on my PC (now out of date compared to the one on the server), and when I double-click on that, I see this:

http://www.dimadayoub.net/university.jpg

When I click on 'university', I can see users, their email addresses, etc), but there's nothing about 'command line'. That is, I don't open Access or my own db through a script.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:48 PM
  • User475983607 posted

I'm a bit confused... I thought you were asking about a web site that connects to MS Access.   It seems that you are trying to open an MS Access DB located on a remote server?  I'm pretty sure that is not possible download the DB first then open it on your local machine.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:04 PM
  • User-1793215261 posted

download the DB first then open it on your local machine.

I have done that - it's on my desktop - and see the same as the screenshot that I posted earlier. If I click on 'university', I can see the entries in their different columns.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:33 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Bluenose

download the DB first then open it on your local machine.

I have done that - it's on my desktop - and see the same as the screenshot that I posted earlier. If I click on 'university', I can see the entries in their different columns.

I do not understand the problem you are trying to solve or what this problem has to do with ASP.NET.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:38 PM
  • User-1793215261 posted

I was hoping to remove this: www.dimadayoub.net/commandLine.jpg

which appears when I open the db on the server. Apart from it being inaccurate - since no command line is used to start Access - clicking that OK button achieves nothing. It reappears and reappears. 

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 11:43 PM
  • User347430248 posted

Hi BlueNose,

First of all, Your image link is broken.

So I don't know what you want to show there.

From past conversation, It looks like you had an Access Database stored on server, Which you downloaded on local machine.

When you try to open the database, You got some error.

I suggest you to post the Full Error message, If possible then again try to add picture of error message.

Try to check that whether your database contains and VBA code that get executed when you open the database which generates this error.

Try to by pass the startup options, autoexec by pressing the Shift key while you open the database.

Reference:

How to enforce or disable the startup options in an Access database project

Try to press Alt + F11 key to open VBA Editor to check whether it contains any code that can cause this issue.

If there is no any VBA code but then also you got this error message then you can try to compact and repair database , If you get chance to execute it.

You can also try to post your issue in MSDN Access Forum, Which handles MS Access Specific issues.

Try to close this thread, Before you post a new thread on Access forum to avoid duplication.

Regards

Deepak

Monday, April 9, 2018 7:55 AM
  • User-1793215261 posted

Hello Deepak

These are the two errors I get when I try to open the Access database on the server, not when I download the database to my PC:

http://www.dimadayoub.net/AccessError.jpg

FileZilla is the FTP programme I use to upload my compiled ASPX files.

I was simply wondering what I need to do to remove those to dialogue-boxes.

Thanks for your reply.

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:27 AM
  • User753101303 posted

And how do you try to open this file ? It seems you are trying to open Access in some interactive mode ? Sometimes Access is used as a database but the site opens the db using OleDbConnection.

For now it seems you have some kind of basic flow in your current approach. Ah the 2nd error message makes me think OLE or something like that is involved.

If using Process.Start as explained earlier it will never work. Your C# code runs on the web server and so it would try to open the file interactively on the web server where nobody will be able to interact to the app.

The catch is that it sometimes seems to work for newcomers but it is just because when  developping you are in the very special case where your machine is both the browser client side and the web server side machine.

Edit :" I don't open Access or my own db through a script." Tell us rather what you are actually doing. Do you use Process.Start from code or you double click on this file in Filezilla ? If your intent is to open this file on your machine, you should likely first download the file and then open it. Or is it a coding issue ?

Monday, April 9, 2018 8:52 AM
  • User-1793215261 posted

Thanks.

When I am in FileZilla online, I can see all the folders that I can see as if I were in Solution Explorer of Visual Studio. One of those folders is App_Data which contains my MDB. I right-click the database and select Open/Edit and that is when I see the 'Command' dialogue-box whose screenshot I posted. Underneath that dialogue-box - which won't go away regardless of how many times I press OK, is the FileZilla error dialogue-box.

Monday, April 9, 2018 11:35 AM
  • User475983607 posted
    As stated several time above.... you cannot open MS Access this way. You must download the dB or remote into the server.

If you need more information, visit MS Access support.
    Monday, April 9, 2018 11:57 AM
  • User753101303 posted

What if you try to download this file to a local directory and then open this file. Do you have the same error ?

For now it seems unrelated to ASP.NET but rather a problem about how to use Filezilla/FTP (which I don't use but it is rather intended to transfer files).

Monday, April 9, 2018 12:02 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

If you are trying to "open" the mdb file remotely by using some menu option in FileZilla, your issue has nothing whatever to do with ASP.NET. Don't use the View/Edit option to open an mdb file. It is not intended for that purpose. I don't know what that option is for. You should post such questions to a FileZilla forum.

Monday, April 9, 2018 1:00 PM
  • User-1793215261 posted

If I download the db to my desktop, it opens without any 'command' errors.

Monday, April 9, 2018 5:03 PM
  • User753101303 posted

Ok IMO this is just how it works. My guess is that when clicking in Filezilla it starts Access with the ftp location but it fails as Access is not designed to handle a FTP path. If your goal is to sometimes get the file from your server to have a look at the content, download the file on your machine and then open the file using Access.

If you need further help for this particular issue, try rather a Filezilla forum. You might be able to configure each file type to either pass the ftp location to the application, or to have the file be downloaded automatically to some local temp file before being opened with the corresponding application.

For example Excel or Word might allow that because this kind of app load the whole file in memory, then you work there and finally you save your changes.

Access works directly on the db file and so it is basically ilmpossible to support continuously reading/writing from/to the file through FTP (which is intended to transfer file, not to share file over a network).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 6:21 PM
  • User-1793215261 posted

Thanks for your comprehensive answer, Patrice.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 12:24 AM