Building a VS Shell with a solution inside RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

I've been searching for this for almost a week now, I can't seem to find it anywhere, so I'm starting to think it's not possible...

I'm building a VS Shell ISOLATED application, I start it, and there's nothing on the solution explorer, right?
    So what I wanna do is: I wanna build a VS Shell, that when I run it, the shell starts with another project inside of it.
    Was I clear? If not, I'm sorry.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:14 PM

Answers

• Hey Felipe, no problem.
    It's pretty much the same as opening a file with any other program. During development you would add the solution file to the Command Arguments setting in the property page for your shell stub executable. Then when you distributed your application you would add it to the end of the target property on the shortcut the setup program installed.

Only catch is that a stand alone shell can't make heads or tails of a standard solution file because it doesn't recognize any of the project types except the ones you create. So you will have to setup and save your default solution file from within your shell (you'll notice the solution gets saved to a custom file extension - for a shell built using the default settings on the wizard that extension is .VSShellStub1_sln).

Cheers,
    Shane Norris
    www.norlesh.com
    • Proposed as answer by Norlesh Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Felipe Fiali de Sá Monday, March 30, 2009 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Felipe,
    Can't you just pass the solution file on the command line?

cheers,
    Shane Norris
    www.norlesh.com
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Well, I'm sorry, I'm a beginner at this...
    But how would I do that? Would you give me an example or something?
    Thanks a lot.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Hey Felipe, no problem.
    It's pretty much the same as opening a file with any other program. During development you would add the solution file to the Command Arguments setting in the property page for your shell stub executable. Then when you distributed your application you would add it to the end of the target property on the shortcut the setup program installed.

Only catch is that a stand alone shell can't make heads or tails of a standard solution file because it doesn't recognize any of the project types except the ones you create. So you will have to setup and save your default solution file from within your shell (you'll notice the solution gets saved to a custom file extension - for a shell built using the default settings on the wizard that extension is .VSShellStub1_sln).

Cheers,
    Shane Norris
    www.norlesh.com
    • Proposed as answer by Norlesh Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Felipe Fiali de Sá Monday, March 30, 2009 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Right, thanks for the fast reply, I'll try and get that done, research a bit upon it, because as I said, I'm a beginner, then I'll post if it worked, k?
    Thanks again Norlesh.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:57 PM