none
Urgent Help RRS feed

• Question

• The problem now is, I just use .NET to create a 50KB small application, but finally I need quite more space to install .NET Framework before my small program can run.... this is what I trying to say....
    • Moved by spacewrangler Friday, September 11, 2009 3:59 PM (From:Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:44 AM

Answers

• Obviously its not a good idea to package entire .NET libraries in the project itself.
    You can create a setup project and put .NET framework as prerequisite, if the target machine doesnot have .NET framework it'll download from internet.
    Once the app is installed you can easily run ur exe.

Does this solves ur prob??
    Lemme know if you have any queries..
    - Paras

• Proposed as answer by eryang Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:30 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:54 PM

All replies

• Not exactly sure what your issues is, as you have stated, the application you have created runs in the .NET Framework also know as the CLR (common language runtime). This is true for any managed language where you have a runtime environment that translates and runs your bytecode into machine code (for example java). Even unmanaged languages have extra requirements around all the libraries that have to be installed on the system. For example in C/C++ there are a number of libraries (dealing with streams, consols, standard library, stl, network sockets, input/output etc) that have to be installed on a system (although most of these are installed by default on windows). 

Hope this helps.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:13 AM
  • My Issue is that i want to  Running .Net applications without installing .net framework.
    because i was made a software size is 500 kb by use of C#.net for my collage project.
    I make an .exe for that .But then it size goes to 200 mb +.
    it not adjust my floopy :(
    Friday, September 11, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Friday, September 11, 2009 11:42 AM
  • You usually dont need to copy the whole .net framework as it is usually available on most machines that are sufficiently patched. The second aticle you have posted is to do with obfuscating the c# compiled IL code in order to make it such that people are not able to decompile your applications and steal your code (http://blogs.msdn.com/ericgu/archive/2004/02/24/79236.aspx). People have made attempts at trying to run some .net apps with just minimal .NET libraries but its not a trivial process and not always successful and I would definately advise against attempting it. 

What OS is running on the machine that you are trying to run your code on?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Obviously its not a good idea to package entire .NET libraries in the project itself.
    You can create a setup project and put .NET framework as prerequisite, if the target machine doesnot have .NET framework it'll download from internet.
    Once the app is installed you can easily run ur exe.

Does this solves ur prob??
    Lemme know if you have any queries..
    - Paras

• Proposed as answer by eryang Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:30 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:54 PM
  • What really sux is embedding the 2 gigabytes that you need to install Windows.  Well, you probably don't.  No need for .NET either, it is available everywhere.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Just make .NET Fremework as precondition of your application, end user should be notified that they need to download and install .NET Framework before using the application.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Please remember to mark helpful replies as answers and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:56 AM