MSBuild: The tag '<TAG>' does not exist in XML namespace '<NAMESPACE>' RRS feed

• Question

•  I have a solution with several Silverlight 3.0 solutions.

When I build the project in VSTS I have no errors or warnings.

When I build the project on a TFS build server (MSBuild) I get these warnings:

[Any CPU/Debug] c:\path\Job\JobView.xaml(49,26): warning : The tag 'DateTimeSelector' does not exist in XML namespace 'clr-namespace:MyProject.CommonSL;assembly=MyProject.CommonSL'.

When I open JobView.xaml in VSTS designer, I get this error:

Error    8    The type 'commonSL:DateTimeSelector' was not found. Verify that you are not missing an assembly reference and that all referenced assemblies have been built.    C:\path\Job\JobView.xaml    49    26    Job

There are many errors like this for the CommonSL project.

In the xaml file I have defined the reference:

xmlns:commonSL="clr-namespace:MyProject.CommonSL;assembly=MyProject.CommonSL"

and have added the reference.

The code runs correctly.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The warning you mentioned may occurs in this scenario: We refered some controls only in style, not in visual tree, actually. For example, when using Toolkit theming, the theme resource dictionary may contains many styles for controls in several assemblies, but actually you needn't add all related controls assemblies in project when applying theming.

On my opinion, you could ignore this warning, or you could remove these style and namespace prefix, because they wasn't used in project.

Thanks,

Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:58 PM