Creating an Installer Package for a VB6 Program RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Visual Basic 6 program that was written many years ago and it was packaged using the Microsoft Development Environment 6.0 software (Version 8426) to create a single MSI package.  That MDE software dates back to 1998 and I need to create an Installer Package which will suit current platforms from Vista to Windows 8.  Since this is a temporary measure for short term deployment then hopefully there is a free version of software that can be used to create a suitable package?  Please can anyone recommend a suitable method to create an Installer Package which will suit more modern systems?

Secondly, in the longer term I intend to convert the VB6 program into a Visual Studio version.  I tried previously but my program uses data from an Access Database and early versions of VS Express reported vast numbers of errors.  I appreciate that there will be considerable work in updating the program but can anyone please advise the best route to take to initially convert a VB6 program into a Visual Studio program?

Many, many thanks for any advice.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:01 AM

Answers