What about print support ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can't be the only one needing printing support in WPF/E. I guess printing is not the hottest topic for those of you creating fancy, animated picture albums but for those of us working in domains such as mapping, aec etc. printing is a must. Currently the plugin supports printing through the browsers print command but the aspect ratio depends on the paper size and produces distorted graphics, at least this has to be fixed PLEASE!

In SVG I've created a technique where the xml was extracted from the plugin and posted back to the server for PDF generation thus allowing for controlling the print. I don't se how this could be done in wpf/e because it will not support xml serialization. Of course it would be great if we could have somekind of XPS rendering support.

Could somebody in the design team shed some light on future plans on print support.

And what about all you developers out there, do you have printing needs and how are you going to tackle them ?

Tim

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:53 PM

Answers

• I did write my own renderer for xaml (not as hard as it sounds, mostly maping from xaml to gdi+). Easier solution would be to install .net 3.0 on the server side and use full WPF to do the rendering.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:58 AM

All replies

• I am playing with 'post to the server' and render on the server side method. Lack of xaml serialization is not that big of the deal. You can extract impotant values from WPF/E or you can maintain you own representation of xaml sructure in javascript. I can't tell you more without knowing about that you trying to do.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:50 AM
  • Hi and thanks for yous answer,

As you say I guess post to the server is a safe bet. Do you have any solution for server side rendering ? For svg I've used batik with great success and would appreciate something similar for XAML.

Tim

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:55 PM
  • I did write my own renderer for xaml (not as hard as it sounds, mostly maping from xaml to gdi+). Easier solution would be to install .net 3.0 on the server side and use full WPF to do the rendering.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:58 AM