web.config file of an asp.net web application not getting copied to local temp on windows 2008 r2 server RRS feed

• Question

• User1805273456 posted

Hi,

We recently got a windows 2008 R2 server where we have deployed our asp.net web application.

Framework : v4.0

The application is configured to use application pool identity and the application pool(ASP.NETv4.0) has been setup in integrated mode. I have observed that some process is trying to copy the web.config file from the web application folder to

C:\Windows\temp\<servername>\<application path>\bin\IIS AppPool_ASP.NETv4.0.

For example, if the application path is D:\inetpub\wwwroot\TestApp and the server name is TestServer, then the path for the config file:

C:\Windows\temp\TestServer\D\INETPUB\WWWROOT\TestApp\BIN\IIS AppPool_ASP.NETv4.0

The problems are:

1. the application is somehow looking at this path for the web.config file even though we have not configured our application to look at this temp location for web.config.

2. the web.config file is not getting copied to this path. However, the folders "TestServer\D\INETPUB\WWWROOT\TestApp\BIN\IIS AppPool_ASP.NETv4.0" are getting created successfully every time we launch our web application.

I suspect that some access is missing but not able to find out what access.

FYI-I have provided application pool asp.netv4.0 full access to C:\Windows\Temp and my application path as well.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 11:08 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi smehta

According to your description above, I think you could look into the logfile in your IIS7.5 first.

We can enable this Failed Request Tracing in the IIS by steps below,

1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager:
    2. In the Connections pane, select the server connection, site, application, or directory for which you want to configure failed request tracing.
    3. In the Actions pane, click Failed Request Tracing...
    4. In the Edit Web Site Failed Request Tracing Settings dialog box, select the Enable check box to enable tracing, leave the default value or type a new directory where you want to store failed request log files in the Directory box, type the number of failed request trace files you want to store in the Maximum number of trace files box, and then click OK.

You can check log files in C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles, it will give more details why this happens.

In addition, it's also recommended to get help from IIS forum for this issue, I think Microsoft IIS experts can give precise troubleshooting.

Best regards

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:15 AM