MSI - from VS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

Is there a way of creating the MSI file from VS ?

Or do I need to go through deploying it to DEV and then Exporting MSI from DEV, transferring it to PROD and importing there ?

God bless you all :)

Thursday, June 25, 2015 9:43 AM

Answers

• What you ask has been tried but with a context of continuous Integration as a backdrop (refer https://github.com/riha/BtsMsiTask). In your case the context is different I assume. Based on the different threads you've posted you've lost a dev environment because you lost a developer. So now you're recreating your DEV environment. Having done that is there a fix that you need to put in and then deploy then yes, you'd need to export the MSI from DEV and import it in PROD. You might however want to create this MSI without Bindings as that would take the necessary binaries across. In this case you would want to export the bindings in production and then reapply them after importing the MSI.

There are other tools such BTDF (refer http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com/) which might be used.

Regards.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, July 6, 2015 4:58 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:09 AM
  • You need to create a BizTalk Deployment Project which will create a project the output of which is the MSI.

The same location from where you downloaded BTDF has the documentation on how to go about using it. Please go through the documentation and it'd save you hours waiting for response on this or other forums.

Regards.

Friday, June 26, 2015 4:27 AM
  • You can always deploy your Application  to your BizTalk Admin console from visual studio . That way you have option to test your solution on the local development machine.

If you want to automate build process then you can add post build event in your project and apply BTDF solution to create a automated build MSI which can run on different environment.

But before going to BTDF I would suggest to have a unit testing scenario tested on your local machine  .

Thanks

Abhishek

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:10 AM

All replies

• What you ask has been tried but with a context of continuous Integration as a backdrop (refer https://github.com/riha/BtsMsiTask). In your case the context is different I assume. Based on the different threads you've posted you've lost a dev environment because you lost a developer. So now you're recreating your DEV environment. Having done that is there a fix that you need to put in and then deploy then yes, you'd need to export the MSI from DEV and import it in PROD. You might however want to create this MSI without Bindings as that would take the necessary binaries across. In this case you would want to export the bindings in production and then reapply them after importing the MSI.

There are other tools such BTDF (refer http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com/) which might be used.

Regards.

Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

There are multiple ways to do that you can use MSBuilds task to create your batch file that will generate the MSI file for you.

The Best of all the options to generate MSI from VS is the use of BizTalk Deployment Framework, you can install it and will get an VS extension which will allow you to create MSI in just one Click and even much more features to robust performance.

- http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com

please make sure use correct version of BTDF with BizTalk version's.

Regards,

Sharad

Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:34 AM
  • Should I see an option in VS - like Export as MSI ?

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:20 PM
  • Yes you will be able to see "Generate server deploy MSI" using BTDF.

Regards,

Sharad

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:44 PM
  • I installed the BTDF framework.

I cant see the option either in the start menu nor is it available in VS. 

Which menu under should it be available if successfully installed ?

Does it need additional config after installation ?

Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:53 PM
  • My BizTalk is 2013R2 will BTDF work with it ?

Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

BTDF is not supported in BizTalk 2013 R2. The latest version only works with VS2012/BT2013

Regards.

When an answer is helpful, please vote as helpful, propose as answer and/or mark as answer

EDIT: Sorry, I've not seen that there is a Beta release that supports it. My apologizes for the confussion
    • Edited by ohawari Friday, June 26, 2015 7:02 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

BizTalk 2013 R2 is supported by BTDF and for that you need to install BTDF v 6.0, please find a link;

http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com/downloads/get/907024

I am already using it with BizTalk 2013 R2

Regards,

Sharad

• Proposed as answer by SharadVerma Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:21 PM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:09 PM
  • You need to create a BizTalk Deployment Project which will create a project the output of which is the MSI.

The same location from where you downloaded BTDF has the documentation on how to go about using it. Please go through the documentation and it'd save you hours waiting for response on this or other forums.

Regards.

Friday, June 26, 2015 4:27 AM
  • You can always deploy your Application  to your BizTalk Admin console from visual studio . That way you have option to test your solution on the local development machine.

If you want to automate build process then you can add post build event in your project and apply BTDF solution to create a automated build MSI which can run on different environment.

But before going to BTDF I would suggest to have a unit testing scenario tested on your local machine  .

Thanks

Abhishek

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:10 AM