none
Need to uninstall Net Framework 3.5 and 3.0 Sp RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a Windows XP SP3 Operating System on my computer.

I have an application that wants to install an older version .Net Framework 3.0. I have newer versions of 3.0 and 3.5 plus updates on my computer.  When the installer for Nero Multimedia Suite 10 encounters these newer versions, I get the message "Install of Net Framework 3.0 failed exiting setup" I contacted the developer and was told that the workaround is to uninstall any Net Framework later then Net Framework 2.0.

When I try to do this, I get a message that 3.5 cannot be uninstalled because applications depend on it and the uninstall exits.  Since I cannot uninstall 3.5 I can't uninstall 3.0 Service Pack 1 or is it SP 2.

Is there a developer's utility or some kind of workaround that I can use to remove 3.5 then 3.0...so I can run the Nero Multimedia Suite 10 installer then let Windows or Microsoft Update put the newer versions back?

I am not a developer.  But I can't seem to find the answer to this bug.  When I go on the Nero forum all I get is that Nero and Microsoft are working on this problem.  When I go to the forum called Windows BBS, I am told to go to Nero for the solution. So, here I am with a copy of Nero Multimedia Suite 10 that I cannot install because my OS won't let me uninstall these later versions of NET Framework.  Please don't tell me that this is a Nero problem.  The buck has to stop somewhere.  Thanks  Brian

• Edited by Brian1951 Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:01 AM Clarification of post
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Brian1951,

Thank you for posting.

I don’t recommend you to uninstall .NET Framework 3.5, 3.0 from your machine, if your reason is only to save your disk space. Many software need to be dependent on .NET Framework 3.5, 3.0. If you uninstall these components, some software won’t be run on your machine. You might meet some unpredictable errors.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:18 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:40 AM