none
Guidance on Azure Cosmos DB and Azure Redis Cache RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at either Cosmos DB or Azure Redis Cache as a technology choice for one of our applications, and clarifications to the following queries would really help us to proceed forward on the appropriate choice in our case.

- CosmosDB supports an active geo-replication with various consistency levels. Does it support multi-region writes and reads (for the same collection), i.e. apart from the reads, even the writes will be faster and happen on the nearest region, while replicated to other regions in background.

- What is the typical range of data replication delays in case of Session Consistency (like is it in milliseconds/seconds/minutes/etc)

- What is the typical range of data query and fetch latency for Cosmos DB, for various regions and distances, ex: West US to East US, across the globe (Asia Pacific to US)

- In case of large documents in CosmosDB, can I query for only specific part of the documents (ex: fetch only the fields that I need), and will that help reduce latency in case of large documents.

- In case of geo-replication in Azure Redis Cache, does it support multi-region writes along with reads.

- What is the typical range of data replication delays in case of Azure Redis Cache

- What is the typical range of fetch latency for Azure Redis Cache, for various regions and distances, ex: West US to East US, across the globe (Asia Pacific to US)

- Can we enable persistence in Redis Cache, such that an entry is not deleted until we clear it out explicitly (average time for deletion of an entry would range in 24 hours - 96 hours)

- Any specific recommendations among Redis/Cosmos/something-else considering two main factors we really need are : Very High Availability and Very Low Latency, while considering functional requirements like : Users distributed across the globe, large sized documents with only parts of the document needed in each read operation, but entire document needs to be updated in every write operation.

• Edited by piyugupt Friday, October 27, 2017 9:28 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies