none
Licensing / royalty fee for VSTO? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read somwhere, or might just have misunderstood, that as a Developer there is a royalty fee assosiated with using VSTO.

The question is basically: If I develop an application using the ribbon in Excel with custom functions for each button through VSTO SE in Visual Basic 2005 and compile it as an COM Add-in, and then sell this application, is there any royalties or licensing fees payable to Microsoft? If so, would there be any royalties or fees payable if I just distribute the application within my organisation for no compensation?

Thank You

• Edited by RoelofC Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi RoelofC

No, there are no royalty fees involved with selling/deploying VSTO add-ins or documents, any more than for any application you create using Visual Studio.

The Office application cannot be distributed with a VSTO solution. It's installed, licensed and paid for by the "end-user" (or his company, or whatever).

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by RoelofC Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:21 AM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:59 AM
  • That is correct.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi RoelofC

No, there are no royalty fees involved with selling/deploying VSTO add-ins or documents, any more than for any application you create using Visual Studio.

The Office application cannot be distributed with a VSTO solution. It's installed, licensed and paid for by the "end-user" (or his company, or whatever).

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:59 AM
  • So just to confirm then, as I regard it a serious issue, if the end-user allready has Office 2007 installed and paid for, I may charge a fee for the use of my application, which they then "install" via com add-ins and that is all that is payable by both parties? I dont have to pay a royalty fee if I designed the add in with Visual Studio 2005 with VSTO SE added?

Thank you for your time.

• Edited by RoelofC Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:55 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:53 PM
  • That is correct.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:15 AM