none
Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Installation Error - 'Wait on the Database Engine Recovery Handle Failed'

Question

• I installed Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Developer Edition on my Windows 10 Operating System today.

I got the error:  Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL 
    Server error log for potential causes.

I am using a built-in administrator account in my laptop;

UserName:    MachineName\Administrator

I am not able to enable my SQL Server Database Engine  (Log on as:    NT Service\MSSQL$SQL2016DEV).

I read through some online forums I need to change this to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE or
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.  

Interestingly, some other features  are successful in my installation. One of them is
    Analysis Service Engine.

What will be the best solution for me?  In my machine I already have SQL Server 2012, 2008R2, 2005
    installed (all Developer Editions) running various applications;

SQL Server 2012 Database Engine has NT Service\MSSQL$SQL2012DEV
    SQL Server 20108R2 Database Engine has NT AUTHORITY\Network Service
    SQL Server 2005 Database Engine has Local System

I cannot uninstall any of the above 3 versions (all the above 3 are fine still).  

Thanks.

• Edited by sph1777 Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:31 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 4:26 PM

Answers

• Thanks a lot Shanky_621. You gave me the confidence to make this 'simple' change . I will go through the entire process on a step-by step.

I made the change in the 'Log on as' property  (NT Authority, see picture) for the SQL Server 2016 Database Engine (previously NT Service).

Steps to accomplish this change:

1) Open SQL Server Configuration Manager
    2) Under SQL Server Services Select Your Server
    3) Right Click and Select Properties
    4) Log on Tab Change to Built-in-account
    5) In the drop down list select Network Service
    6) Apply and start the service

At the hindsight, I realized that this change is a must for the Reporting Services 2016 Engine too; I changed this for SQL Server 2016 Launch Pad also, just to test (though I did not know anything about the LaunchPad !)  

The change for the Database Engine 2016 initially started the service, which was previously not starting(the reporting services 2016 engine was starting earlier too (though not working in the Report Server/Manager side, or even while connecting via SSMS to the Reporting Services Engine), even before this change, with NT Service itself.) See picture (screenshot taken after the final modifications are completed).

I was delighted that the Database Engine 2016 started, and tried to connect via SSMS 2016; I found some other error!

(I do not have the screenshot for this below error, since this is in now resolved, apologize for it, but had copied to a notepad.)

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to MachineName\SQL2016DEV.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'MachineName\Administrator'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

The error 18456 is too generic, and after some online reading I could not sort out. 

In the SSMS (2016) error message box  the "Technical Details"  section , I found the following:

Server Name: MachineName\SQL2016DEV
    Error Number: 18456
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 65536

Solution:

Go to  - 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\ Event Viewer :

I found this:

Login failed for user 'MachineName\Administrator'. 
    Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

(This message in the Event Viewer)

While installing the database engine, I opted for mixed mode authentication; but neither the Windows login nor the sa login were connecting via SSMS ! They threw me the same above error, all while the Database Engine 2016 was STILL running !

After some online reading, I tried this:  i.e. opt for SQL Server Login with sa and no password, it works! I do not know how on earth this is successful! But to get this I struggled for over 3 hours!

Once this sa/no-password SQL Server login was successful, I did this:

CREATE LOGIN [<domainName>\<login_name>] FROM WINDOWS;
    GO

The above domain/login is my Windows account (MachineName\SQL2016DEV); I can then get into the SSMS, and give maximum permission to this account.

Now, I am able to use my Windows login to open the SSMS 2016. See below.

Even after this, my problems did not end.  I realized that the SSRS - Reporting Services 
    Engine was not connecting with the Windows authentication in SSMS (obviously SSRS does not
    have SQL Server authentication) with NT Service, even though this service itself is STILL working (just as the case of Database Engine, a little earlier).

I needed to change this SSRS 2016 Service too to NT Authroity, and make appropriate modifications in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager (this also took more than 2 hours, but do not want
    to elaborate).

I had to create the Report Server database using the Reporting Services Configuration Manager,
    and restart the SSRS service a couple of times to make the URL of Report Server and Report Manager
    to work. 

After some trial and error, I am able to open the Reporting Services Engine from my SSMS,
    using Windows Authentication.

I am also able to work with the Report Manager. 

In a nutshell, I did this:

DB Engine, Reporting Services Engine: change to NT Authority (earlier NT Service), and make these services running. You do not need to uninstall/reinstall SQL Server 2016 for this.  Remember, I am using a built-in administrator account - MachineName\Administrator. I am not sure whether this will work when you are using some other type of account.

Once you get these 2 services running, you connect them via SSMS, and handle issues.

Honestly, installing Microsoft SQL Server 2016 in Windows 10 OS is somewhat complicated, with separate installations for SSMS and SSDT, which were not required in previous versions such as 2012, 2008R2, etc.

Thanks

• Edited by sph1777 Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by sph1777 Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:44 PM
  • So can I consider that for time being your issue is solved ? Well what I told you, to change account and use NT Authority\System account was just a workaround and what could be the issue would be their in Errorlog. So have a look at errorlog and see what was previously stopping DB engine from coming online

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Marked as answer by sph1777 Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:46 PM

All replies

• This message says SQL Server is installed but for some reason it is not coming online, the reason is mentioned in errorlog. See errorlog section of This Article.

Post the content of errorlog here

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, March 6, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Its difficult to post the whole error log; let me know what part of it you want, I will do so.
    • Edited by sph1777 Monday, March 6, 2017 5:13 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 5:04 PM
  • Its difficult to post the whole error log; let me know what part of it you want, I will do so.

OK can you post the content on shared drive like google drive or onedrive and paste link in your reply. I am interested in many things but mostly the part where database fails to come online

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, March 6, 2017 5:16 PM
  • Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2061893606
      Start time:                    2017-03-06 16:22:34
      End time:                      2017-03-06 18:12:35
      Requested action:              Install

Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
      Next step for RS:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for Polybase:        Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for SQLEngine:       Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for DQ:              Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for FullText:        Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for AdvancedAnalytics: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Next step for Replication:     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  XYZ-15
      Machine processor count:       4
      OS version:                    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (10.0.14393)
      OS service pack:               
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United Kingdom)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered  Configured
      SQL Server 2005      SQL2005DEV           MSSQL.2                        Database Engine Services                 1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005      SQL2005DEV           MSSQL.2                        SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005      SQL2005DEV           MSSQL.2                        Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search 1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005      SQL2005DEV           MSSQL.2                        SharedTools                              1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005      SQL2005DEV           MSSQL.1                        Analysis Services                        1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          DTS                                      1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          Tools                                    1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          ToolsClient                              1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          ToolsClient\Connectivity                 1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          ToolsDocument                            1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          ToolsDocument\BOL                        1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          ToolsDocument\Samples                    1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2005                                                          NS                                       1033                 Developer Edition    9.4.5000        No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2   SQL2008R2DEV         MSSQL10_50.SQL2008R2DEV        Database Engine Services                 1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6220.0    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2   SQL2008R2DEV         MSSQL10_50.SQL2008R2DEV        SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6220.0    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2   SQL2008R2DEV         MSSQL10_50.SQL2008R2DEV        Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search 1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6000.34   No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2   SQL2008R2DEV         MSAS10_50.SQL2008R2DEV         Analysis Services                        1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6000.34   No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2   SQL2008R2DEV         MSRS10_50.SQL2008R2DEV         Reporting Services - Native              1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6220.0    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2                                                       SSMS                                     1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6220.0    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2                                                       Adv_SSMS                                 1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6000.34   No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools Connectivity                1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6000.34   No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility     1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6000.34   No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2                                                       Client Tools SDK                         1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6000.34   No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2008 R2                                                       Integration Services                     1033                 Developer Edition    10.53.6220.0    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV           MSSQL11.SQL2012DEV             Database Engine Services                 1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV           MSSQL11.SQL2012DEV             SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV           MSSQL11.SQL2012DEV             Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search 1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2100.60    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV           MSSQL11.SQL2012DEV             Data Quality Services                    1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2100.60    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV           MSAS11.SQL2012DEV              Analysis Services                        1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV           MSRS11.SQL2012DEV              Reporting Services - Native              1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012      SQL2012DEV_TM        MSAS11.SQL2012DEV_TM           Analysis Services                        1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2100.60    No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          SSMS                                     1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          Adv_SSMS                                 1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          Client Tools Connectivity                1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          Client Tools Backwards Compatibility     1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          Client Tools SDK                         1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          BIDS                                     1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          Integration Services                     1033                 Developer Edition    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       
      SQL Server 2012                                                          Reporting Services - SharePoint                                                    11.0.2218.0     No         Yes       

Package properties:
      Description:                   Microsoft SQL Server 2016 
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2016
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       13
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         D:\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          Developer

Product Update Status:
      None discovered.

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Install
      ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN:      false
      AGTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\SQLAgent$SQL2016DEV
      AGTSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Manual
      ASBACKUPDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS13.SQL2016DEV\OLAP\Backup
      ASCOLLATION:                   Latin1_General_CI_AS
      ASCONFIGDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS13.SQL2016DEV\OLAP\Config
      ASDATADIR:                     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS13.SQL2016DEV\OLAP\Data
      ASLOGDIR:                      C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS13.SQL2016DEV\OLAP\Log
      ASPROVIDERMSOLAP:              1
      ASSERVERMODE:                  POWERPIVOT
      ASSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MSOLAP$SQL2016DEV
      ASSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS:            XYZ-15\Administrator
      ASTELSVCACCT:                  NT Service\SSASTELEMETRY$SQL2016DEV
      ASTELSVCPASSWORD:              <empty>
      ASTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE:           Automatic
      ASTEMPDIR:                     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS13.SQL2016DEV\OLAP\Temp
      BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE:         Automatic
      CLTCTLRNAME:                   
      CLTRESULTDIR:                  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\DReplayClient\ResultDir\
      CLTSTARTUPTYPE:                Manual
      CLTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\SQL Server Distributed Replay Client
      CLTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      CLTWORKINGDIR:                 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\DReplayClient\WorkingDir\
      COMMFABRICENCRYPTION:          0
      COMMFABRICNETWORKLEVEL:        0
      COMMFABRICPORT:                0
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170306_161749\ConfigurationFile.ini
      CTLRSTARTUPTYPE:               Manual
      CTLRSVCACCOUNT:                NT Service\SQL Server Distributed Replay Controller
      CTLRSVCPASSWORD:               <empty>
      CTLRUSERS:                     XYZ-15\Administrator
      ENABLERANU:                    false
      ENU:                           true
      EXTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\MSSQLLaunchpad$SQL2016DEV
      EXTSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      FEATURES:                      SQLENGINE, REPLICATION, ADVANCEDANALYTICS, FULLTEXT, DQ, POLYBASE, AS, RS, SQL_SHARED_MR, RS_SHP, RS_SHPWFE, DQC, CONN, IS, BC, SDK, BOL, DREPLAY_CTLR, DREPLAY_CLT, SNAC_SDK, MDS
      FILESTREAMLEVEL:               3
      FILESTREAMSHARENAME:           SQL2016DEV
      FTSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MSSQLFDLauncher$SQL2016DEV
      FTSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      HELP:                          false
      IACCEPTROPENLICENSETERMS:      true
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              false
      INSTALLSHAREDDIR:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR:           C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSQLDATADIR:             <empty>
      INSTANCEDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTANCEID:                    SQL2016DEV
      INSTANCENAME:                  SQL2016DEV
      ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\MsDtsServer130
      ISSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ISTELSVCACCT:                  NT Service\SSISTELEMETRY130
      ISTELSVCPASSWORD:              <empty>
      ISTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE:           Automatic
      MATRIXCMBRICKCOMMPORT:         0
      MATRIXCMSERVERNAME:            <empty>
      MATRIXNAME:                    <empty>
      MRCACHEDIRECTORY:              
      NPENABLED:                     0
      PBDMSSVCACCOUNT:               NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
      PBDMSSVCPASSWORD:              <empty>
      PBDMSSVCSTARTUPTYPE:           Automatic
      PBENGSVCACCOUNT:               NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
      PBENGSVCPASSWORD:              <empty>
      PBENGSVCSTARTUPTYPE:           Automatic
      PBPORTRANGE:                   16450-16460
      PBSCALEOUT:                    false
      PID:                           *****
      QUIET:                         false
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   false
      ROLE:                          
      RSINSTALLMODE:                 DefaultNativeMode
      RSSHPINSTALLMODE:              SharePointFilesOnlyMode
      RSSVCACCOUNT:                  NT Service\ReportServer$SQL2016DEV
      RSSVCPASSWORD:                 <empty>
      RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      SAPWD:                         *****
      SECURITYMODE:                  SQL
      SQLBACKUPDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLCOLLATION:                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
      SQLSVCACCOUNT:                 NT Service\MSSQL$SQL2016DEV
      SQLSVCINSTANTFILEINIT:         true
      SQLSVCPASSWORD:                <empty>
      SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Automatic
      SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS:           XYZ-15\Administrator
      SQLTELSVCACCT:                 NT Service\SQLTELEMETRY$SQL2016DEV
      SQLTELSVCPASSWORD:             <empty>
      SQLTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE:          Automatic
      SQLTEMPDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLTEMPDBFILECOUNT:            4
      SQLTEMPDBFILEGROWTH:           64
      SQLTEMPDBFILESIZE:             8
      SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQLTEMPDBLOGFILEGROWTH:        64
      SQLTEMPDBLOGFILESIZE:          8
      SQLUSERDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLUSERDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SUPPRESSPRIVACYSTATEMENTNOTICE: false
      TCPENABLED:                    0
      UIMODE:                        Normal
      UpdateEnabled:                 true
      UpdateSource:                  MU
      USEMICROSOFTUPDATE:            false
      X86:                           false

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170306_161749\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Client Tools Connectivity

Feature:                       Client Tools SDK

Feature:                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Feature:                       Reporting Services - Native
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Component error code:          0x851A001A
      Error description:             Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=13.0.1711.0&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026

Feature:                       PolyBase Query Service for External Data
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
      Next Step:                     Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
      Component name:                SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
      Error description:             Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes.
      Error help link:               http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=13.0.1711.0&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026&EvtType=0xD15B4EB2%400x4BDAF9BA%401306%4026

Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      Reason for failure:            An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.

Feature:                       Data Quality Services

Feature:                       Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search

Feature:                       R Services (In-Database)

Feature:                       SQL Server Replication

Feature:                       Master Data Services

Feature:                       Distributed Replay Client

Feature:                       Distributed Replay Controller

Feature:                       Integration Services

Feature:                       Data Quality Client

Feature:                       Analysis Services

Feature:                       Reporting Services - SharePoint

Feature:                       Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products

Feature:                       SQL Browser

Feature:                       Documentation Components

Feature:                       SQL Writer

Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity

Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity SDK

Feature:                       R Server (Standalone)

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20170306_161749\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:14 AM
  • Can I change 'Log on as' to Built-in account from 'This Account' as shown in the picture? Then restart. Will that work ? 
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:16 AM
  • posted the error log file anyway; have also added an image file of my configuration manager; it looks like the Database Engine is not starting, perhaps to do with some account related issues.

I am using a built-in administrator account in my laptop;
    UserName:    MachineName\Administrator

I am very scared to uninstall anything, be it SQL Server 2016, or the previous versions I have.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:18 AM
  • Can I change 'Log on as' to Built-in account from 'This Account' as shown in the picture? Then restart. Will that work ? 

You posted wrong logs, this is installation log I was asking for SQl Server startup log. It also seems you did not read the article I shared because the information was mentioned their.

Anyways yes you can change the account to NT Authority\System from SQL Server configuration manager and see if SQL Server comes online.

For logs I was referring to 

Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.13\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG and ERRORLOG.13 files.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Thanks a lot Shanky_621. You gave me the confidence to make this 'simple' change . I will go through the entire process on a step-by step.

I made the change in the 'Log on as' property  (NT Authority, see picture) for the SQL Server 2016 Database Engine (previously NT Service).

Steps to accomplish this change:

1) Open SQL Server Configuration Manager
    2) Under SQL Server Services Select Your Server
    3) Right Click and Select Properties
    4) Log on Tab Change to Built-in-account
    5) In the drop down list select Network Service
    6) Apply and start the service

At the hindsight, I realized that this change is a must for the Reporting Services 2016 Engine too; I changed this for SQL Server 2016 Launch Pad also, just to test (though I did not know anything about the LaunchPad !)  

The change for the Database Engine 2016 initially started the service, which was previously not starting(the reporting services 2016 engine was starting earlier too (though not working in the Report Server/Manager side, or even while connecting via SSMS to the Reporting Services Engine), even before this change, with NT Service itself.) See picture (screenshot taken after the final modifications are completed).

I was delighted that the Database Engine 2016 started, and tried to connect via SSMS 2016; I found some other error!

(I do not have the screenshot for this below error, since this is in now resolved, apologize for it, but had copied to a notepad.)

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to MachineName\SQL2016DEV.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'MachineName\Administrator'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

The error 18456 is too generic, and after some online reading I could not sort out. 

In the SSMS (2016) error message box  the "Technical Details"  section , I found the following:

Server Name: MachineName\SQL2016DEV
    Error Number: 18456
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 65536

Solution:

Go to  - 

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\ Event Viewer :

I found this:

Login failed for user 'MachineName\Administrator'. 
    Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

(This message in the Event Viewer)

While installing the database engine, I opted for mixed mode authentication; but neither the Windows login nor the sa login were connecting via SSMS ! They threw me the same above error, all while the Database Engine 2016 was STILL running !

After some online reading, I tried this:  i.e. opt for SQL Server Login with sa and no password, it works! I do not know how on earth this is successful! But to get this I struggled for over 3 hours!

Once this sa/no-password SQL Server login was successful, I did this:

CREATE LOGIN [<domainName>\<login_name>] FROM WINDOWS;
    GO

The above domain/login is my Windows account (MachineName\SQL2016DEV); I can then get into the SSMS, and give maximum permission to this account.

Now, I am able to use my Windows login to open the SSMS 2016. See below.

Even after this, my problems did not end.  I realized that the SSRS - Reporting Services 
    Engine was not connecting with the Windows authentication in SSMS (obviously SSRS does not
    have SQL Server authentication) with NT Service, even though this service itself is STILL working (just as the case of Database Engine, a little earlier).

I needed to change this SSRS 2016 Service too to NT Authroity, and make appropriate modifications in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager (this also took more than 2 hours, but do not want
    to elaborate).

I had to create the Report Server database using the Reporting Services Configuration Manager,
    and restart the SSRS service a couple of times to make the URL of Report Server and Report Manager
    to work. 

After some trial and error, I am able to open the Reporting Services Engine from my SSMS,
    using Windows Authentication.

I am also able to work with the Report Manager. 

In a nutshell, I did this:

DB Engine, Reporting Services Engine: change to NT Authority (earlier NT Service), and make these services running. You do not need to uninstall/reinstall SQL Server 2016 for this.  Remember, I am using a built-in administrator account - MachineName\Administrator. I am not sure whether this will work when you are using some other type of account.

Once you get these 2 services running, you connect them via SSMS, and handle issues.

Honestly, installing Microsoft SQL Server 2016 in Windows 10 OS is somewhat complicated, with separate installations for SSMS and SSDT, which were not required in previous versions such as 2012, 2008R2, etc.

Thanks

• Edited by sph1777 Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by sph1777 Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:44 PM
  • So can I consider that for time being your issue is solved ? Well what I told you, to change account and use NT Authority\System account was just a workaround and what could be the issue would be their in Errorlog. So have a look at errorlog and see what was previously stopping DB engine from coming online

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Marked as answer by sph1777 Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Shanky_621. I have not put the log you needed, but just went with the suggestion you gave me, and I have the entire step-by-step solution. Hope it helps other folks too.
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:55 PM
  • Thanks Shanky_621. I have not put the log you needed, but just went with the suggestion you gave me, and I have the entire step-by-step solution. Hope it helps other folks too.

That is not a solution like I said this is just a workaround.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 5:19 PM
  • Yes, this issue is resolved; I know that this is a workaround, but do not have time to reinstall or ...  I have to start my development work for our client.

Will the error log still be there for an event that happened two days back ? If you let me know how to find it, I can still provide you the information.

Now:

Although the SSRS 2016 part is fixed, I have an unexpected issue in SSRS 2012 Report Manager, which was working fine until now (SSRS 2012 Report Server is fine though).  I have posted another question:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e5b683f5-9710-449d-9686-f353126984a6/ssrs-2012-report-manager-http-500-error-the-website-cannot-display-the-pagewhile-report-server?forum=sqlreportingservices

Will you be able to look into this as well ? Greatly appreciate your help.

• Edited by sph1777 Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:46 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:45 PM
  • I am sorry I am not so much into SSRS but it is good that you raised a separate thread for it, just hang on and you would get solution

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:06 PM