none
.Net Framework 2.0 corrupt? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that has been running for years that targets Framework 2.0 that suddenly takes over an hour to load.  I am on a Windows 7 machine and if I take to my other Win 7 or Win 10 machines it runs perfectly fine.  Also if I change it to target Framework 4.0 it runs perfectly fine.  On the suspect machine if I step through in the IDE then I see that things like an "End" statement on a property get or on a subroutine takes sever seconds to complete.  But the real killer is BindingSource.ResetBinding which now takes over 5 minutes to complete.  And finally when the app has loaded and I try to use it I get an unhandled exception on a statement in a Try/Catch construct!  Is that even suppose to be possible?  The statement looks like:

Try

(Double).Parse(....

Catch ...

So aren't I handling the exception?

In any case, I am having problems trying to fix the problem.  The OS does not want to let me uninstall and reinstall.  So short of reloading the OS from scratch is there some way to reload the Framework?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Terry,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

Since the application could run perfectly fine on the other Win 7 or Win 10 machines and with the target of .NET Framework 4.0, the issue may be caused by .NET Framework 2.0.

You could try to use the .NET Framework setup verification tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx to verify and once it found any corrupted, you could use the .NET Framework Repair Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135 to repair it.

Windows 7 comes with the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, the .NET Framework 3.0 SP2, and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed as a part of the OS, you could also use the command sfc /scannow to see if you have any corrupted system files.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Sorry to be slow on getting back to you on this.  When I ran the verify tool it found nothing wrong and so the repair tool did not fix anything.  I don't know what else it could be - but some part of the framework.  In particular, something to do with "BindingSource.ResetBinding".  I have another application I have written using FW 2.0 and it works fine but of course does not use a binding source.  Is there really no way to force a reinstall of copy files from a good computer to fix the framework?  It is a long process to reimage this machine and then reload everything.

Thanks

Terry

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Hi Terry,

Thank you for your update.

Have you use the command sfc /scannow to see if you have any corrupted system files?

Please refer to here:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista/

Since you have another application which using FW 2.0 and it works fine, I suspect the issue may be caused by the other factors. Our forum is to talk about the installation and the deployment of .net framework, you could post a new thread in Visual Studio Development  >  Visual Studio General Questions for a professional support. you could upload some screenshots about the issue and tell us what's your type of your application.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:12 AM