Visual Studio 2010 Test Controller try to connect to wrong agent and fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am having some trouble trying to get my test controller to contact my test agent.

I have three virtual machines where in one of them I install a test controller and on the other two I install test agents to run tests from visual studio 2010. All the machines have their firewalls turn off and all the machines belong to the same domain. I am the domain controller admin and I install the controller and agents under the same account (domain admin user).

At first all the installation and configuration process for the agent and controller went just fine. However I have some problems with one VM where I have one of the agents and I need to delete that virtual machine an recreate it. To the new machine I give exactly the same domain name (TEST-AGENT04) but that machine now have a different IP address (previously the IP ended with XXX.XXX.XXX.12 and now it ends with XXX.XXX.XXX.13). Now when I try to configure the test agent on the machine "TEST-AGENT04" the configuration is successful but the agent is always with the status "Disconnected".

On the controller machine, in the Application Windows Logs (Event Viewer) the following error is logged :

"QTController.exe, PID 1772, Thread 29) ControllerConfiguration: Agent 'TEST-AGENT04' attempted to connect but failed: Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Exceptions.EqtException: The agent can connect to the controller but the controller cannot connect to the agent because of following reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond XXX.XXX.XXX.12:6910. Make sure that the firewall on the test agent machine is not blocking the connection."

For some reason the controller grabbed the old IP adress for TEST-AGENT04 machine and cannot reset it's adress (I believe this is a bug on the Test Controller)!

I tried to restart both machines (controller and agent) and reconfigure the agent but the problem still persists! Is there any way to reset the IP definitions on the controller?

Brazeta

• Edited by José Brazeta Friday, September 20, 2013 10:06 AM Text was wrong
    Friday, September 20, 2013 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as I know, there is no way to set the IP of test agent machine on test controller.

Please follow this article to install and configure your test controller and test agent:

Installing and Configuring Visual Studio Agents and Test and Build Controllers

Please note: You must not install and run a test controller on a computer that is also a domain controller.

And when you register a test agent with the test controller, you need to type the name of your test controller followed by a colon (:) and the port number such as 6901. But based on the error message, it seems you register test agent with test controller with the IP of a test agent machine:6901. Please check it and then use the name of the test controller machine to check the result.

If the error still exists, you said the previous test agent is installed on a VS in a machine and now you delete and recreate the VM. Whether you install new test agent on the new VM before you register it with test controller? If no, please reinstall it. And please try to close the test controller service and then start it again to check the result. After you configure the test agent, please check if the test agent service is started.

If no help, please reference this article to troubleshoot the issue step by step: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/df043823-ffcf-46a4-9e47-1c4b8854ca13/troubleshooting-guide-for-visual-studio-test-controller-and-agent

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by Amanda Zhu Monday, September 30, 2013 6:07 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 7:39 AM