Disabling SQL Browser for named instances on a SQL2008R2/Win2008R2 cluster RRS feed

• General discussion

• Has anyone had any luck disabling the SQL Browser service on a SQL2008R2/Win2008R2 cluster where SQL was a named instance with a non standard (1433) port?

So far, all I have heard is that if you have a named instance with a non standard port, you must have browser running.

Monday, July 18, 2011 3:57 AM

All replies

• SQL Browser is used in order to figure out the port or pipe SQL Server is listening on. For SQL Server Cluster installations, this service needs to be running otherwise it will not be possible to communicate with remote nodes.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Monday, July 18, 2011 4:19 AM
  • I fail to see how cluster should change things here. Did you try to connect using the machinename,portnumber syntax?
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    Monday, July 18, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Tibor, the SQL Server Browser Services works the same way no matter it is a clustered instance or stand alone, named or default instances. If the SQL Server is not listening on default port (TCP 1433) or pipe name (\\.\pipe\sql\query) and you don't specific that port or pipe name in the connection string, you need to let SQL Server Browser Services running which can help your find the correct port or pipe name.

Best Regards
    Alex Feng | Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Clustering

SQL Server Browser is not a clustered resource and does not support failover from one cluster node to the other. Therefore, in the case of a cluster, SQL Server Browser should be installed and turned on for each node of the cluster. On clusters, SQL Server Browser listens on IP_ANY.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:50 AM
  • I've asked around and one tip I got was that the cluster uses the BRowser service to find out the TCP port for the keep alive part. So, according to that, you would probably see some strangeness (possibly fail-overs) if you stop the browser service...
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Yes, the problems we had were with the cluster service not being able to find the SQL instances.  One work around we tried was creating a SQL alias on each node that pointed to all of the SQL instances on the cluster.  Obviously not a fantastic solution.

What I think I am hearing then, is it probably isn't really a workable idea.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:34 PM