none
Windows 10 MDM - Device name change not working RRS feed

• General discussion

• I tried to change the device name using the DevDetailCSP (Replace command) and it doesn't work. Tried it on 2 Windows 10 machines (v1607) and it doesn't work. But it works fine on Windows 10 phone (v1511).

The payload I tried is

<Replace>
          <CmdID>8</CmdID>
          <Item>
            <Target>
              <LocURI>./DevDetail/Ext/Microsoft/DeviceName</LocURI>
            </Target>
            <Data>WIN10TAB1</Data>
          </Item>
        </Replace>

The error code I get when this job fails is 405.

I had a look at the event viewer and got 2 errors. The logs are as follows:

MDM ConfigurationManager: Command failure status. Configuration Source ID: (14BDAC33-1888-4D0D-8EFD-A28EF9B54FCA), Enrollment Name: (MDMFull), Provider Name: (DevDetail), Command Type: (CmdType_Set), CSP URI: (./DevDetail/Ext/Microsoft/DeviceName), Result: (0x86000011).

MDM ConfigurationManager: Command failure status. Configuration Source ID: (14BDAC33-1888-4D0D-8EFD-A28EF9B54FCA), Enrollment Name: (MDMFull), Provider Name: (DevDetail), Command Type: (CmdType_Set), CSP URI: (./DevDetail/Ext/Microsoft/DeviceName), Result: (0x86000011).

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Aster,

Thank you for this question. One of our engineers will look into this and follow-up with you soon.

Thanks,

Edgar

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hi Aster:

I'll help you with this issue and will be in touch as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:55 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Aster:

The support for replace command for ./DeviceDetail/Ext/Microsoft/DeviceName was only added for Windows Phone. The following page will be updated with relevant info soon.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn904942(v=vs.85).aspx

Please let me know if it does not answer your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:35 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you Obaid for the confirmation. Can this feature be added for Windows 10 desktop as well? This is an important feature from our business perspective.
    Friday, September 2, 2016 4:47 AM
  • Hi Aster:

There are no plans currently to add support for replace for ./DeviceDetail/Ext/Microsoft/DeviceName  in Windows.

I have conveyed your feedback to the product group.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Sunday, September 4, 2016 7:35 PM
    Owner