Links in online help don't work in VB 2008 Express! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I noticed that some of the links in the online help don't work in Vb2008 express. Does anyone else have this same problem?

Charlie
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• i just tried me.text+=1 in form load when the form's text is form1, and i got an error. yay!
    so, i checked for online help, and all the links seem to respond as they should..

so, nope, no problems here.

•.trujade.•
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Open the help and click on index.type in mid.Then click on Asc function. I get information not found.

Charlie
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:53 AM
  • are you sure you are searching for Visual Basic Express Edition help topics? And you are searching online - there are also the local help files. You may need to download the help files.

Mid and Asc are VB6 functions

so when you have Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition open, you click on Help menu (at the top), then click on Index in the drop-down menu? And the index pane shows on the left side?

Or are you getting to Help some other way?

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:13 AM

• Mid and Asc are VB6 functions

Mid and ASC are Visual Basic functions not VB6 functions, like a complete other bunch what is often miscalled VB6.

Here the ASC documentation for version '10

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ewf8xx62(VS.100).aspx

It are full Framework 4.0 functions.
    Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Yes, I seldom use it, but then in Visual Studio, it was very good in version 2003 but they have improved it for version 2005 and later to get every problem you can think about.

But when I''ve to cook an egg I simply put water in a can and boil it.

Simply search on MSDN where this forum is in.

If you are a little bit trained in it, it goes much faster.

Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:20 AM
  • you're right, Cor

.NET does have the Asc function - I've used it.

I guess i was focused on the Mid and was thinking the OP was looking at non-.NET info

my bad. Thanks for the correction.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Thanks for all the replys.

"are you sure you are searching for Visual Basic Express Edition help topics"

Well I have VB open and click on the help menu. then the browser opens. It seems the some of the links work and some don't. Is there any other help files I need to install?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:54 PM
  • have you tried the msdn express library?
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/msdn/Default.aspx
    •.trujade.•
    • Proposed as answer by •.trujade.• Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Thanks trujade,

I will check that out.

Charlie
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Hello trujade,

That solved my problems.I wonder why that does'nt install with VB2008?

Thaks again.

Charlie 

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:49 PM
  • n/p. just mark the thread as answered to let others know that you have found a solution to your question..
    ----
    about why it is not installed w/vb2oo8, not sure, but personally, i do not use it, so that might be a reason.. because of me .. lol.
    you should check out my new thread on the forum and you might find another useful d/l. ;o)
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/7b14c6b4-149e-4e52-85b5-c2216b8c749c

also, i just noticed you are new to the forum, definitely check out my post in the following thread..
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/a1f4e9aa-5b90-47e8-b0b1-21329499960d

•.trujade.•
    • Marked as answer by Charliem38 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:23 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:05 AM