ASPX pages don’t show in IE6 RRS feed

• Question

• User1090102445 posted
    I have an old computer which I have tested developments in IE6 before. I copy the folders over, but for some reason aspx pages do not seam to load anymore. Not sure what I am doing different now, if it is the machine, something I am doing or if it is something to do with css adapters. Any advice please?
    Monday, September 3, 2007 6:07 AM

All replies

• User-417784260 posted

Did you register the folder with the aspx pages with IIS?

Monday, September 3, 2007 6:33 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

does it work in other browsers? If so you should check the CSS adapters.

Grz, Kris.

Monday, September 3, 2007 6:34 AM
  • User1090102445 posted
    Everything works fine in firefox and IE7, but just not on the older machine.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Never had IIS and IE6 rigged up on the older machine, but managed to see how developments looked on there before. Perhaps I have lost the adapters when I recently reloaded VWD 2005!?

Are the adapters only required for IE6?

Monday, September 3, 2007 9:56 AM
  • User-534056067 posted

No the adapters aren't specific to IE6. The adapters cause the ASP.NET framework to render alternative markup (better markup, hopefully) for menus, tree views, etc. They are set up (in the .browser file) to do that alternative HTML generation for all browsers, not just IE6.

However, if you are having problems with IE6 then, typically, it is because you haven't sufficiently "prepared" your pages to deal with IE6 when the adapters are in play.

To understand that statement, you need to do a couple of things. First, re-read the instructions provided in the white paper, http://www.asp.net/cssadapters/whitepaper.aspx#SamplesUsingInYourWebSite. Make certain that your pages have properly set up the <link> tags that these instructions mentioned. Pay particular attention to the paths that you use for the style sheets, etc. to be sure that these files actually exist on your site. Notice, too, that there is a conditional comment that pertains specifically to IE6. Sometimes people mess that up and then their pages don't render in IE6 when they use the adapters.

If you are still having problems, then you should search these forums for other postings wherein people using the adapters had problems with IE6. Most or many of those postings will include (ultimately) the resolution to the original problem. Perhaps you are running into the same problem that someone else has... and can solve it the same way.

To search these forums for this sort of information, try using the search box above with:

sectionid:1018 AND ie6

The sectionid:1018 tells the search to restrict its results to messages posted in the CSS Friendly Adapters forum. This will narrow your results to just what you really need: discussions about how others who are using these adapters have overcome problems specific to IE6.

Hope this helps... and I'm glad you are enjoying the adapters. Best regards,

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 11:40 AM
  • User1090102445 posted

Thank you Russ for your reply and the link to the white paper which has helped make the whole subject on adapters easier to understand.

Unfortunately I am still not able to get my project to run in IE6 and despite this thread being moved over to this forum I am not altogether convinced this is a CSS problem. I do not think this is the case because I have tested the small business template which I guess has the appropriate CSS files/ folders already built in and that fails to work in IE6 either.

Testing in the same way I manage to get aspx pages to work in IE6 with an older project, but the specific difficulty I am having now seems to stem from aspx pages that use masterpages.

I have searched forums ISS, CSS and Small business template with regards to IE6 and Masterpages and as yet I have found nothing relevant.

Any advice please on what I might want to try next.[*-)]

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:40 AM
  • User1090102445 posted

Did you register the folder with the aspx pages with IIS?

Am I right in thinking IIS is not required when using VWD ?

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:39 PM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

indeed, you can use the built in webserver, codename Cassini, with VWD or Visual Studio 2005.

Grz, Kris.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:47 AM
  • User-417784260 posted

If you create a new website and select the tutorial on css friendly adapters project starter kit does the site render properly in ie 6 on your machine?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:23 AM
  • User242351028 posted

Hi,

You just make a page index.html and within that HTML page you just call that index.aspx page. i guess it will work fine. Thanx.

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:03 PM
  • User-534056067 posted

Can you please describe EXACTLY what is not working? For example, do you have some menu that isn't showing up correctly on IE6 but is showing up with other browsers? If so, you might want look at this recent posting, http://forums.asp.net/t/1162358.aspx. If the problem is with some other control then the solution will be something else. So, you can help by describing the details of your situation. THANKS and best regards,

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:46 PM
  • User1090102445 posted
    “Does not work” means if I load the files (including the Css friendly adapters project starter kit) over to my test machine’s desktop, right click open with IE, the cursor timer appears, but then disappears without opening.

I have tried opening individual files and pages a number of different ways with no luck. Except I have managed to get IE to trigger on a couple of occasions where the best I got was a browser full of code showing the control tags. I also noticed on one occasion that there was some strange character font appearing in front of the controls tags which looks to be stopping the code from rendering.

On the older project where I have managed to get aspx pages to load properly some of the design comes up funny and controls like the drop down lists don’t appear, but that project does not have the appropriate folders and is not intended to be Css friendly.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 2:06 AM
  • User1508127182 posted

load the files over to my test machine’s desktop

Huh? Does that machine even have the asp.net engine? Did you install VWD (was that possible without being forced to IE7?) or where does the right-click menu capability come from? What about firing up IE and manually pointing it to the desired URL? You're not giving IE a file: URL to an aspx are you?

What do you intend anyway? Just to test a project with IE6? If so, how about serving the stuff from your dev machine (obviously not using cassini which won't respond to outside requests but copy the site over to a local IIS), running *only* the browser on that test machine? (I use a virtual machine exclusively for IE6 - grudgingly)

Thursday, October 4, 2007 6:03 AM
  • User-1015649212 posted

On the machine where this works, I'm guessing your URL starts with http://localhost/applicationname/

this would indicate that IIS is installed on that machine.  Now go to the test machine that is not working.  Open up IE and navigate to

http://localhost

Does anything appear?  If not, then IIS is not installed on the test machine.  If you would like to test IE6 in this situation and the two machines are networked, then you can (assuming the machine that has IIS installed is named testmachine123) do the following.  Open up IE6 on the old machine and type in this:

http://testmachine123/applicationname/

IIS on the one will serve up pages to the other.

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:29 PM