none
Outlook Add-In with ASP.NET-Surface RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to develop an Outlook CustomTaskPane that uses ASP.NET for user interaction, because the desired layout is much easier to realize as a website than with WinForms or WPF.
    One possible scenario would be: clicking a link in the ASP.NET page triggers a text extraction in the currently opened e-mail, the results goes back into the ASP.NET page.

So far I embedded a WebBrowser into the TaskPane and embedded CassiniDev as server, both are working fine.

Now I don't know where to put the ASPX-files. If I put them into my VSTO project and then build, publish and install the project, the ASPX-files go to [User]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\ etc. The exact path differs on all machines and thus I can't address the files from my embedded WebBrowser.

If I create a separate WebApplication for the ASPX-pages, I don't know how to access the objects of my VSTO project from the ASPX-pages, because both need a close interaction.

Thank you for help!

• Edited by Feldborg Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:18 PM added a scenario
    Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:12 PM

Answers

• I found that my plan is not feasible as described above.
    Even if I can locate the aspx-files, I cannot access the running instance of my AddIn from the aspx.

What I did instead is to embed HTML-files into my AddIn and manipulate the DOM / intercept button clicks to communicate between AddIn and web GUI.

Your hint, Jeffrey-Chen, was helpful also for my new solution, thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Feldborg Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Feldborg,

<< If I put them into my VSTO project and then build, publish and install the project, the ASPX-files go to [User]\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\ etc. >>

Have you tried to use Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData to locate your *.aspx files?

var path = String.Format("{0}\\Apps\\2.0\\", Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.LocalApplicationData));

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:06 PM
  • I found that my plan is not feasible as described above.
    Even if I can locate the aspx-files, I cannot access the running instance of my AddIn from the aspx.

What I did instead is to embed HTML-files into my AddIn and manipulate the DOM / intercept button clicks to communicate between AddIn and web GUI.

Your hint, Jeffrey-Chen, was helpful also for my new solution, thanks.
    • Marked as answer by Feldborg Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:13 PM