sql server migration assistant error "there is nothing to process" RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to migrate an access database to SQL Asure. When I add an access database (I have tried several different ones) all of them show (0/0) Queries and (0/0) Tables even though I know that there are in fact tables and queries in the accdb file. I do have access to and have no problems connecting to the sql server on azure. I have checked my file permissions for the access files. I came across another similar question in these forums and the solution was to try from the 32 bit version of the SSMA however this is not working for me. any ideas? What else should I try? what other information does someone need to know what is going on? I am ready to try anything!
    Thursday, November 12, 2015 6:45 PM

Answers

• I was able to get it to work. I am not sure why this made any difference but I downloaded the MS Access 2010 Runtime from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10910

Could it be that perhaps it did not work well with the 2016 office application that I work from?

anyway, after downloading the runtime application it worked right away with the 32bit exe

• Marked as answer by Dayandow4 Friday, November 13, 2015 4:05 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 4:05 AM

All replies

• Ensure that the database that you are trying to convert to SQL Server does have some objects in it and you have the necessary privileges to access them.  If you do not have the necessary permissions,  request the same from your  Database Administrator before proceeding with the migration.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped.

Friday, November 13, 2015 1:44 AM
  • Hi Dayandow4,

From your description, you fail to migrate Access database to SQL Azure using SSMA, could you please help to post the full error message in ssma.log? The log can be found in %APPDATA%\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant\Access\log\ssma.log.

In addition, please follow the steps in this similar blog to migrate Access database to SQL Azure and please note that not all Access features and settings are supported by, or can be easily converted to SQL Server. You can check Incompatible Access Features before migrating databases.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 13, 2015 2:46 AM
  • Thank You Lydia for your response to my question: here is what the log says: 

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CD7791B9-43FD-42C5-AE42-8DD2811F0419} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)). This error may be a result of running SSMA as 64-bit application while having only 32-bit connectivity components installed or vice versa. You can run 32-bit SSMA application if you have 32-bit connectivity components or 64-bit SSMA application if you have 64-bit connectivity components, shortcut to both 32-bit and 64-bit SSMA can be found under the Programs menu. You can also consider updating your connectivity components from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=197502.
         An error occurred while loading database content.

As I mentioned before I found and tried both SSMAforAccess.exe and SSMAforAccess32.exe both of them give the same error. could it have anything to do with my sql azure instance? if so that does not make any sense to me because the failure is in reading the metadata  from the access database.

Friday, November 13, 2015 2:58 AM
  • I was able to get it to work. I am not sure why this made any difference but I downloaded the MS Access 2010 Runtime from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10910

Could it be that perhaps it did not work well with the 2016 office application that I work from?

anyway, after downloading the runtime application it worked right away with the 32bit exe

• Marked as answer by Dayandow4 Friday, November 13, 2015 4:05 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 4:05 AM