Users cant access split database simultaneously RRS feed

• Question

• I have a database that I split. From the database split wizard I put the BE on a shared network folder, then distributed the FE on each users workstation desktop. Each user can access the database and make changes fine, unless another user is logged in already and is accessing a table. If another user is accessing a table an error pops up and says "Could not use [Location:Database]; file already in use."

I checked the folder permissions for the BE and everything seems to be fine. The group that all the users are in seems to have full read write delete privileges. I'm out of ideas...

Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:31 PM

Answers

• The big question here is why are they accessing the Tables. They should never be using the Tables directly. Only use Forms to access the data and Reports to display the data.

Chris Ward

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:20 PM
  • This might not be the reason, but Access automatically locks a database in Exclusive mode if someone opens any object in design view.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, February 28, 2014 7:21 PM

All replies

• In addition to the file, also check the folder permissions. Users also need Create privileges, to create the laccdb file.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Friday, February 28, 2014 3:13 AM
  • Thanks Tom, I think they have full permissions as each user can create folders and files in the folder and delete them, but I will double check. I dont have a lot of experience grating permissions in Linux which is what the server runs so this could be the problem. I will make sure of this before trying anything else.
    Friday, February 28, 2014 4:32 PM
  • There are probably tweaks you could implement to make your Access backend function like a server based backend (Like a sql server).  However, if your project/data is actually significant/relevant and you aren't just experimenting around and your really need this type of functionality -- I would use a server based backend.  As for the tweaks -- if something requires "tweaking" to function a certain way (which is probably legitimate) I generally won't go there.  Instead I will use a system that already does the operation out of the box without requiring the special tweaks -- for data and projects that are significant and relevant.

Rich P

• Edited by Rich P123 Friday, February 28, 2014 5:20 PM .....
    Friday, February 28, 2014 4:44 PM
  • The big question here is why are they accessing the Tables. They should never be using the Tables directly. Only use Forms to access the data and Reports to display the data.

Chris Ward

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:20 PM
  • This might not be the reason, but Access automatically locks a database in Exclusive mode if someone opens any object in design view.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, February 28, 2014 7:21 PM