none
Failed to load the SPD workflow

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to open up a workflow. But I got a popup box saying "failed to load the workflow".

I cleared the 12.xxx folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint Designer\ProxyAssemblyCache

However, I am still getting the error.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    -Bin
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 16, 2010 3:15 AM Don't use prefixes. SharePoint Designer: removed
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 16, 2010 3:16 AM workflow questions go to the workflow forum (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can there be many causes.

One could be the next

Cause

One possible cause is that the workflow rules file of the workflow that you are trying to open contains invalid XML markup.

Resolution

1. In Office SharePoint Designer 2007, in the Folder List, click the plus sign (+) next to theWorkflows library to expand it, and then click the plus sign (+) next to the folder of your workflow to expand it.
    2. Double-click the rules file to open it.

The rules file name is typically Workflow_name.xoml.rules.

3. Right-click anywhere on the page, and then click Verify well-formed XML.
    4. Correct any errors; then save and close the file.

Or sometime test a new workflow adding 1 step a time and test it so as to know in which step is failing.

Another cause could be because you renamed the forms.

Hope this helps

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:18 PM

• Can there be many causes.

One could be the next

Cause

One possible cause is that the workflow rules file of the workflow that you are trying to open contains invalid XML markup.

Resolution

1. In Office SharePoint Designer 2007, in the Folder List, click the plus sign (+) next to theWorkflows library to expand it, and then click the plus sign (+) next to the folder of your workflow to expand it.
    2. Double-click the rules file to open it.

The rules file name is typically Workflow_name .xoml.rules.

3. Right-click anywhere on the page, and then click Verify well-formed XML .
    4. Correct any errors; then save and close the file.

Or sometime test a new workflow adding 1 step a time and test it so as to know in which step is failing.

Another cause could be because you renamed the forms.

Hope this helps

I verified the xml files. They are well formed and formatted.  What is the other possible cause? What folder should I look to find the form?

I appreciate your help!

-Bin
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi Bin,

Try to Check your WSS.ACTIONS file which is located in this folder path :C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\Workflow.

Note: Before editing action file take a copy of WSS.ACTIONS file.

-Hardesh

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Hi,       

I cannot reproduce this issue and am not sure what the exact problem is.

But I found two related articles:

http://blog.qumsieh.ca/2010/01/16/failed-to-load-workflow-error-in-sharepoint-designer/

http://blog.metrostarsystems.com/2009/06/29/sharepoint-designer-2007-failed-to-load-the-workflow/

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Bin_ Monday, April 19, 2010 2:21 PM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Hi,       

I cannot reproduce this issue and am not sure what the exact problem is.

But I found two related articles:

http://blog.qumsieh.ca/2010/01/16/failed-to-load-workflow-error-in-sharepoint-designer/

http://blog.metrostarsystems.com/2009/06/29/sharepoint-designer-2007-failed-to-load-the-workflow/

Hope it is helpful!

Seven

The first blog post helped. I added a new line in my web.config, and cleared the cache.

<authorizedType Assembly="DP.Sharepoint.Workflow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0298457208daed83" Namespace="DP.Sharepoint.Workflow" TypeName="*" Authorized="True" />

Thanks Seven!
    -Bin
    Monday, April 19, 2010 2:23 PM