none
App change points (VB/.NET) for SQL 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I just had an question with regards to Application remediation (i.e. VB/.NET applications) whose backend database will get migrated from SQL 2005 to SQL 2012 .

What should be my approach for doing the Application remediation, how should I find the remediation points which we need to modify to be compatible to SQL 2012.

Any thoughts/process if you have done it already, please do let me know. Thanks.

• Moved by Bob Beauchemin Thursday, March 12, 2015 4:57 PM Moved to the forum for client-side SqlClient code for best results
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Since the big change of your application is to upgrade the database, I think the most affected part of you application should be the data access layer. I think you should pay attention to this part, if your applicaiton uses classic 3 tier architecture.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hello Umesh,

>>What should be my approach for doing the Application remediation, how should I find the remediation points which we need to modify to be compatible to SQL 2012.

From your description, it is not very clear what project and what apis you are using with migrating database from sql server 2005 to sql server 2012. If you are worrying about the compatibility of ADO.NET(I assume you use this API since the issue is discussed in this forum), as far as I know, the ADO.NET api is still fit for sql sever 2012, meaning if originally you use ADO.NET to read data from sql sever 2005, you could still use the code to read data from sql server 2012.

If I do not understand correctly, please feel free to let me know.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, March 13, 2015 8:23 AM
  • Thanks for your response, let me be more clear with my question:

1. We are in the process of doing remediation for SQL 2005 database which will be migrated/upgraded to SQL 2012
    2. Currently we have some VB & .Net applications which are using SQL 2005, once we migrate/upgrade SQL 2005 to 2012, I would like to understand the impact on the current VB & .NET applications using SQL 2005
    3. How should I identify the instances that in VB/.Net Source code that will be impacted which we would need to change to ensure it will compatible to SQL 2012
    4. On a high level, we can look at RDO/ADO connections, inline queries, parameters/return type for Stored Procedures etc. which we need to change, now my challenge is how should I first of all identify these instances in the source code, what should be my approach to find these instances will it be a manual approach or is there any tool which can do it (like for SQL Remediation we have Upgrade Advisor for SQL 2012 which will find the remediation instances for us)

Hence I need to know how should we go about finalizing our approach for doing VB/.NET Application Remediation.

If anybody has done it before please share your thoughts on the same ...

Friday, March 13, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Hi All,

Any suggestions/thoughts on the above points ...

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:17 AM
  • Hello,

Since the big change of your application is to upgrade the database, I think the most affected part of you application should be the data access layer. I think you should pay attention to this part, if your applicaiton uses classic 3 tier architecture.

Regards.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 8:21 AM
  • Thanks all for your reply.

Just wanted to understand what change/remediation points we should look for in VB and .NET source code that would get impacted when back-end SQL server database gets migrated from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2012.

.Net applications would have DAL layer but in old legacy VB code most of the places would have inline queries, I am just trying to understand if there is way to upfront identify the impacted source code for which we should perform the remediation without actually testing the front-end application.

Any guidelines/process to be followed for identifying the change points and then testing the applications.

Please do let me know if anybody has done it before ... Thanks...

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:55 AM