SoundEffectInstance.Volume RRS feed

• Question

• Ive noticed (and read) that setting SoundEffectInstance.Volume doesnt work on HTC phones. How does developers deal with this? Do they simply not use a volume control in their apps (if they have e.g. a media app)?
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• I've been reading this myself today. Supposedly this issue is an issue that HTC have to fix. However...

I just checked our internal issues database.  This was a known issue and has been forwarded to HTC.  It will be up to HTC with respect to when they release an updated firmware image that corrects the problem.

FYI, here is another thread addressing the same subject:
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/t/64737.aspx 

- Mark

Mark posted that on the 14th of January.

Forgive me for being pessimistic, but thats getting on for three months now of a pretty serious (game breaking in some cases) problem with HTC phones. Forgive me if i'm wrong but Microsoft were supposed to issue fairly strict guidelines to manufacturers to make sure Windows Phone 7 was a universal operating system across these devices and would feel and act the same.

But it seems when one of these manufacturers blatently has a fault with it preventing it from properly running a large variety of WP7 apps that work fine with other devices. They have such a lackluster approach to making the manufacturer sort the problem out.

"It will be up to HTC with respect to when they release an updated firmware image that corrects the problem."

- If the above is true then Microsoft just frankly don't care about the end consumer, just about how happy their manufacturers are. If they really cared about a quality final product and not printing money. They'd surely have taken measures to make sure HTC address such errors as quickly as possible.

Why don't Microsoft see how quickly the HTC sound error is fixed if they tell HTC to cease selling Windows Phone 7 enabled phones until such time those phones are properly capable of running Windows Phone 7!

I do realise the above may sound pretty unreasonable to some, but they've had three months already to solve the problem and we haven't even heard of any sort of fix being worked on.
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:54 PM
  • It's a known issue. There's also a problem that can occur on some devices where your program changes the volume of the media player and that volume change persists after the program closes (this is different from the master volume). User's that experience it note that they can't restore the ability to play music until the device is reset.   I've never seen that bug myself, but I've heard of it being reported on the Samsung devices.

My advice is for now don't rely on SoundEffectInstance.Volume and if you change the volume of the Media Player be sore to restore it when the program terminates.
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Do you know of an alternative to SoundEffect.Volume though?

It's ok to say "don't rely on it" but what other options are available. Say if you were making a 3d game where you could hear sound in the distance which would get louder depending how close you were, how would you manage that with no control over the volume?

If there are any viable alternatives that would be great, but I've seen several posts on this issue now and nobody seems to have a viable alternative. Is there perhaps any audio libraries that don't use the default SoundEffect class that could possibly alleviate this issue until a fix does eventually roll round?
    Monday, April 4, 2011 12:00 AM
  • I can't think of any viable alternatives.

I know how to alter a WAV file on the fly (both volume and pitch) but to do that in your scenario would translate into having a different alteration for each volume level. Though if the volume levels were stepped and if you've got a relatively low amount of sounds then that solution may not be too bad. 

But before investing the effort into that (assuming that you find it to be worth the effort) I'd make sure the problem wasn't fixed in the NoDo updates.  
    Monday, April 4, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Unfortunately not Joel.

I myself am running the updates and I've already seen a thread saying that it has not been fixed, which I can confirm. I could possibly afford the extra file size to have my wavs at different values. But for now I think I might just have a comfortable sound set as default for the HTC devices by doing a check against the manufacturer and if the manufacturer is not a HTC allowing access to a volume control until which time HTC resolve the issue.

I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

It would be nice to hear if any progress has been made on this issue from either HTC or Microsoft?
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback.

FYI last week I escalated this subject in the issues database, alerting our internal HTC dedicated triage team.  It will be up to HTC to leverage this information and correct it in their build.  Note that each Original Hardware Manufacturer(OEM), such as HTC, is ultimately responsible for managing their operating system build; building and deploying it to accommodate to their specific hardware design.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

Monday, April 4, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Does anyone know how many percentage of the WP7 phones that are HTC?
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Nope. On that note I've not seen any numbers on sales counts or OEM market share in WP. For getting an answer to that question it may be a good idea to add some type of analytics to your program.

I'd conjecture that HTC has the largest share though. If I limit my view to the USA (as I am not familiar with the carriers in other nations) of the 4 nation wide carriers HT is the most ubiquitous as far as available models go. 

• On T-Mobile USA the HD7 is the only phone that you can purchase in the store. The other T-Mobile WP7 phone must be ordered directly from Dell. 
    • Sprint has one Windows Phone available and it is from HTC (the Arrive). 
    • On AT&T three phones is available, one from Samsung, one from LG, one from HTC (the Surround) and another from HTC is coming soon (an HD7 variant) if it hasn't already become available. 
    • Verizon doesn't have a WP7 available for the public, but I've seen a VZW employee carrying a Verizon branded WP7 phone. I've no clue what model it was. 

So if a person were to randomly select a Windows Phone 7 device here in the USA from their carrier in all 4 cases chances are higher than 50% that the person would get an HTC branded phone.

Monday, April 4, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Unfortunately not Joel.

I myself am running the updates and I've already seen a thread saying that it has not been fixed, which I can confirm. I could possibly afford the extra file size to have my wavs at different values. But for now I think I might just have a comfortable sound set as default for the HTC devices by doing a check against the manufacturer and if the manufacturer is not a HTC allowing access to a volume control until which time HTC resolve the issue.

I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

It would be nice to hear if any progress has been made on this issue from either HTC or Microsoft?

Wow this is crazy if Nodo has not fixed this, this is a MAJOR issue when you have XBOX live games from major publishers where the SFX volume adjust does not work on HTC devices !
    and it really and completely is a pain,  I guess I now have to take a WAV file churn it thorugh a sound editor  and make seperate WAV files with different volume levels, CRAZY

ps I read somewhere from HTC that they are outselling the other OEM's.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 11:45 PM
  • Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback.

FYI last week I escalated this subject in the issues database, alerting our internal HTC dedicated triage team.  It will be up to HTC to leverage this information and correct it in their build.  Note that each Original Hardware Manufacturer(OEM), such as HTC, is ultimately responsible for managing their operating system build; building and deploying it to accommodate to their specific hardware design.

Hope this helps,
    Mark

I'm glad that this issue is still being listened too, is there however anything that Microsoft can do should the issue not be resolved soon, I've heard roughly 40% of Windows Phone models sold have been HTC (Although don't call me because I can't verify that).

It's a great shame if a flagship carrier of your operating system is unwilling to even make mention they are fixing this issue openly, let alone if any update is on the horizon to fix this issue.

On another somewhat somewhat related note...

I personally think it is a good thing that Microsoft employees involved with the development of both XNA and WP7 frequent this forum. Although I think I speak for all of us when I say it would be really nice if the Hardware manufacturers were encouraged to have at least one representative each on this forum to have more open contact with we developers.

As well as make we developers feel valued and well supported, I think it would also greatly benefit the manufacturers. Developers will tend to find hardware platform shortfalls before they become apparent to an end user. I personally see it as a win-win situation.

I'm not sure if this is something maybe you could suggest Mark?

Anybody else think this is a good idea?
    Monday, April 4, 2011 11:45 PM
  • I install NoDo the other day and was surprised that this issue was not fixed. It might not be noticeable to simple games, but for other it's essential. Now we have to wait for the next WP7 update , and still have no way to know if HTC is working on it, which i doubt. Perhaps we could resolve to hacks like the trick mentioned above, but i really hate the idea.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:30 AM
  • ExecutiveIguanaStudios,

I understand exactly what you're saying.  Whenever I can, I forward developer feedback directly to the appropriate internal teams.  Developer public postings definitely add weight too...
    You can post product suggestions here.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:13 PM
  • So, hate to raise an old topic from the grave, but kinda pointless to start a brand new one on the same exact issue.. Does anyone have any confirmation is this is been fixed? or am I doing something wrong.. On my HTC trophy, I have a slider tied to a soundeffectinstance.. which works perfect on the emulator.. but on the phone, nothing.. sure, if i drop the slider to 0, the volume shuts off completely.. but thats it, when playing, I have ON and OFF... which is really hampering some of the stuff I'm trying to do here.. The phone is running 7.10.7720.68 which is mango.. 
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Not fixed on my HTC HD7 (mango).
    In my game I ignore sounds with volume <0.2~0.3 so that it doesn't sound terrible on HTC devices while it doesn't ruin the expirience for the rest. 

Looking back to all the problems that HTC had with sound, from post nodo and the recent crashes on Mango, makes me think they had done something very wrong on hardware level. Lets hope the new devices are not broken...
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:03 AM
  • Well, I hope its not actual hardware, since the trophy is my only phone.. I dont have any issues with it at all really except for not being able to adjust volumes.. which could hurt my current project.. and its gonna be another 2 years before I can get a new phone, so they need to fix it... either that or come out with a new version and offer free upgrades to those who notice the issue, which is probably a small percentage of their users..
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:28 AM
  • I stomped into this bug today. I'm using SoundEffectInstance.Volume to modulate the volume of the main car skidding. It sounds absolutely terrible on my HD7 NoDo.

I hoped that an update to Mango would fix the problem but I'm reading it's not... so sad!!

Is it safe to assume that all HTC devices have this problem? I'm thinking of detecting HTC devices and disabling the car skidding, because it's really annoying
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Yeah, probably what Im going to have to do myself.. this project kind of relies on being able to change the volume.. but it can work without it. I might just detect HTC and pop up a notice stating something like "At this time HTC devices do not allow for changes in volume to individual sounds.. The software will be updated when this bug is fixed" etc...

Other than that, make sure you add yourself to the connect issue.. the more people the better. I know its not a microsoft thing, but... 
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I might just detect HTC and pop up a notice stating something like "At this time HTC devices do not allow for changes in volume to individual sounds.. The software will be updated when this bug is fixed" etc...

That is a good idea! Maybe if enough of us put this warning on our apps HTC will consider to go back and fix those old phones (if it's possible). I still don't don't know if this problem is present on the new phones. anyone test on Radar/Titan?
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:15 AM
  • FYI last week I escalated this subject in the issues database, alerting our internal HTC dedicated triage team.  It will be up to HTC to leverage this information and correct it in their build.  Note that each Original Hardware Manufacturer(OEM), such as HTC, is ultimately responsible for managing their operating system build; building and deploying it to accommodate to their specific hardware design.

@Mark

What is going on with this bug?  Will it ever get fixed?  It has been like 15 months since it was first reported!
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:39 AM
  • I forwarded a link to this thread to an internal Microsoft team that collaborates with HTC. 
    They indicated that there are no active plans for a software update for the Sprint Arrive at this time, but will review this thread in case it contains information that they don't already have, and forward the data to HTC.

HTC manages the OS version updates for their phone.

Hope this helps,
    Mark
    Monday, February 20, 2012 9:59 PM
  • I actually got hold of HTC and got into a too an email argument, they were adamant its was Microsoft's responsability to fix this,
    'MSFT supply us with the OS', the end result was they were forwarding it the the relevant dept, the one during the initial emailing
    they said they did not have lol
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Ive had an open ticket with HTC about this for a while.. last response I got was from a James at HTC who said "The last I heard this was something that was being looked into still but I do not have an ETA on a resolution."  .. At least the ticket is still open and they periodically provide updates.. So they know about it, and it sounds like at least one group is looking into it.. beyond that, 15 months.. i expect the phone to be discontinued first...
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Seriously unbelievable that this has not been fixed - every game we've made sounds bad on a HTC phone because all the sounds a blaring out.
    It's not a case of using special HTC sounds either because we have instances that are altered according to the velocity of the object, which is a nice effect when it works - and makes the game seem amateurish when it doesn't.
    The alternative of creating coarse-grained volume versions is not only a nasty hack but would likely take us over the 90meg limit, a ceiling that's not particularly hard to hit.

What I still don't get is what exactly is the problem?  Other hardware does not have this issue so it seems to be a HTC firmware problem - but if they think it's an issue with the OS then no wonder it isn't getting resolved, it's probably just going round and round in circles.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:43 PM
  • It should be clear to everyone by now that HTC couldn't care less about old devices and happily sells 2nd-gen devices, letting first gen slowly fading out. I would never consider to buy another device from them and strongly advice others to stay way.

The question is what can we do as developers? As KingOfTheGoths said , there is no workaround that makes sence considering limitations of the platform and required efford.

The only option is to inform customers that the experience they get from our apps is limited/skewed due to their device bugs and encourage them to test the app on other devices.
    -Let's compile a list of DeviceIds that have the problem.
    -Then prepare a snippet/library for SL and XNA that presends an informative message-dialog during first run for those devices. Let users choise to disable audio entirely / have limited audio (sfxs that are not effected havily by the bug) / or try and see full audio.
    (codeplex is probably the best way to orginize this)
    -Those  of us that care and happend to have a blog could post how to use it and let other developers and wp7dev blogs know about the problem.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:49 AM
  • yeah soundeffectinstace is not only bug, it fails to produce sound frequencies properly if (device==HTC) do this; else do normal routines for every other device
    this was on HTC Surround, have HTC released any newer phones and do they still have the volume issues with soundeffect ?

Friday, March 9, 2012 12:07 AM
  • It will be really helpful if we had a list of all the HTC devices that have this bug! Is this bug still present in the newer devices, like the Titan?
    Monday, March 12, 2012 1:37 PM
  • It will be really helpful if we had a list of all the HTC devices that have this bug! Is this bug still present in the newer devices, like the Titan?

]
    I have seen HTC Radar in a shop and worked fine. I believe only first gen WP7 HTC are affected.
    Here are the info from my HD7. I can verify it's still affected by the bug even with the latest updates applied.

deviceManufacturer: "HTC"
    deviceName: "HD7 T9292"

I would appreciate if others post their finding so we could have a complete list soon.

sample code:

using

Microsoft.Phone.Info;

private void Populate()  

{

string deviceManufacturer = DeviceStatus.DeviceManufacturer;

string deviceName = DeviceStatus.DeviceName; 

tbDeviceManufacturer.Text = deviceManufacturer;

tbDeviceName.Text = deviceName; 

return

}

xaml:

<StackPanel 

<StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal"> 

<TextBlock>DeviceManufacturer: </TextBlock>

<TextBlock Name="tbDeviceManufacturer"></TextBlock 

</StackPanel 

<StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal">  

<TextBlock>DeviceName: </TextBlock 

<TextBlock Name="tbDeviceName"></TextBlock 

</StackPanel 

</StackPanel>

make sure to include ID_CAP_IDENTITY_DEVICE capability in the WMAppManifest.xml.

<

Capability Name="ID_CAP_IDENTITY_DEVICE"/>  

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I tried this on one of my apps, and was rejected because your not allowed to have different behaviors for different devices.. in my case I didnt display a volume slider on HTC phones, and therefore was failed.. If its transparent though, i dont see how they could really find it or tell.. easily at least..
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:29 AM
  • I tried this on one of my apps, and was rejected because your not allowed to have different behaviors for different devices.. in my case I didnt display a volume slider on HTC phones, and therefore was failed.. If its transparent though, i dont see how they could really find it or tell.. easily at least..

Interesting concept never thought about using something like this.

Since the hardware vendors are in control of supporting features and fixing issues, maybe a popup or message box would be an acceptable way to inform a user that their phone has issues with an approved app.

To keep from annoying users with alerts that don’t apply, along with mfg and name, maybe also monitoring these on phones would work;

DeviceStatus.DeviceFirmwareVersion;

DeviceStatus.DeviceHardwareVersion;

As mentioned in previous posts, a list would be nice.

I would expand the list to all phones with known problems. I would be happy to add my Dell Venue Pro compass boondoggle to the list.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:40 PM