none
Kinect giving "Notready" status RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to develop for the Kinect in C#, but when I started up my application today I received an error message "Opps, there is an error".  Seeing as my project ran before I tested to see if my kinect was having issues by running the samples in the Kinect sample browser.  The C# skeleton viewer wont run and gives the message that the Kinect is in the "not ready" state, but the C++ skeleton viewer will run, just without performing any skeleton tracking.  All the C# examples give me either "Opps, there is an error" or "not ready" messages when I try to run them.

My Kinect is properly plugged into my  PC (running windows 7 Home Premium).  The power supply for the Kinect is also correctly plugged in.  I have tried all the USB ports on my laptop. The green light on the Kinect is happily blinking.

I was able to run all the samples before and my project, but now the Kinect is being difficult.  Please any advice on a fix or what I should try next would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:52 PM

All replies

• are you using the 1.0 SDK?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Step-By-Step Installation and instructions:

Before installing the Kinect for Windows SDK:
    1. Verify that your Kinect device is not plugged into the computer you are installing to.

2. Verify that Visual Studio is closed during the installation process.

3. If you have other Kinect drivers on your computer such as those provided by PrimeSense, you should consider removing these. They will not run side-by-side with the SDK and the Kinect drivers provided by Microsoft will not interoperate with other Kinect libraries such as OpenNI or libfreenect.

4. It is possible to install and uninstall the SDK on top of other Kinect platforms and switch back and forth by repeatedly uninstalling and reinstalling the SDK. However, this has also been known to cause inconsistencies, as the wrong driver can occasionally be loaded when performing this procedure. If you plan to go back and forth between different Kinect stacks, installing on separate machines is the safest path.

5. To uninstall other drivers, including previous versions of those provided with the SDK, go to Programs and Features in the Control Panel, select the name of the driver you wish to remove, and click Uninstall.

6. Download the appropriate installation msi (x86 or x64) for your computer. If you are uncertain whether your version of Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can right click on the Windows icon on your desktop and go to Properties in order to find out.

Thanks,
    MOHAMED A. SAKR | Software Development Lead Engineer | EgyptNetwork
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Also try to Vote as Helpful

• Proposed as answer by MohamedSakr Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:55 PM